★★Testing iAds with 30,000 downloads , Loonimals HD is now FREE★★

POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
edited January 2012 in Announce Your Game!
Hey guys ,
Last time iv'e made Loonimals free i had a bit over 30,000 downloads during the weekend .

Photobucket

So i decided to make a test with iAds and see how much revenue i can get from it ,
Today an update to Loonimals HD was released and it has iAds in it , because the iPad screen is big , it doesn't affect the gameplay .
I also made my own Ad in the game just in case the "apple Ad" will not show up , my custom Ad is for my other game Spin The Nut
So it will also be interesting to see if there will be a bump in sales for that game .

You can grab your FREE copy here:
Loonimals HD - ITS FREE

Sure ill update if there will be any interesting numbers to share .

:D
Roy.

Comments

• David_GryphonsRealmDavid_GryphonsRealm Member Posts: 459
    Pretty cool, let us know how that turns out for ya.

David
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Good Luck Roy, wil pick up later for ya.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited January 2012
    Some figures :
    Loonimals HD just broke into the top 100 in GAMES category in USA and JAPAN

Also , its highest rank now is in china and taiwan , in ranking:
    Taiwan - Top Free - #35
    China - Top Free - #66

As for iAds revenue , still nothing ;)

Stay tuned.
    Roy.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Wow, #35 in Top-Free is really good!!
    I hope one of my new games that are coming soon reach the top-free # 100 :)

Cheers
    ---
    Benjamin
    edited January 2012
    Update:
    Im pretty surprised about the numbers ,
    Yesterday Loonimals HD has downloaded over 17,000 times ..
    Photobucket

Ranking keeps climbing.
    And here is the shocking part - 2.5$ iAd revenue so far .

So far the conclusion is - iAd sucks , I wish we had access to admob , i could have made some money with this.
    I know Kiip is coming , but i have no idea how profitable it is , guess we have to wait and see.

Roy.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Don't forget iaps are coming (already integrated into Penguin Glide apparently). If you can find a fun way of including them in the game design that might be better than ads...

From all I've read one-use items (e.g temporary power ups) tend to generate more revenue than permanent decorative items (e.g a new costume for the character)
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    edited January 2012
    Great thread.

I know someone who did IAPs. There was even and error and for about 80% of his downloads the IAPs didn't appear. But when they did he made about $700 Edit - @HoneyTribeStudios I just want to say....
    BUZZZZZ :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :bz :D
  • EinsteinAppsEinsteinApps Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2012
    I did a test like this awhile back also, I found that it isn't the impressions or requests but rather the click through %. I manually tested one night and clicked every add i saw for 4 ads which gave me 4 requests, 4 impressions, and 100% fill rate with 75% ctr. This gave me $.40, the flowing day I had like 97 requests with like 69 impressions and only a 7% ctr and 71% fill rate which only got me $.79.
    I believe the "ctr" or click through rate determines the revenue generation but I am going to do an in depth analysis at the end of the month and will post my results.
    Great topic POM! Glad to see others sharing info that can benefit the community =)
    edited January 2012
    @HoneyTribeStudios
    Good idea , once in-app purchase will be available I'm gonna add some "one time power ups" to the game , and try to get revenue from there , also i have an update to spice up the game a bit .
    Still , shocking that 18,000 downloads a day gives a miserable 2$ , iAds is.. lets say.. not apple's best hour , or in other words , its carp (IMO) ;)

I will keep updating if there will be any interesting development .

IAP... Get ready , your test is right around the corner !
    Roy.
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    That's some interesting data, Roy. Thanks for doing the test.

Maybe GS should include iAds in the free version and add the option for other ad companies (like admob) as a Pro feature.

- Jeff
  • mmzbrmmzbr Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2012
    WTB Admob in GameSalad. I have 4 native code apps in Android Market running Admob with 5-6k installs devices base (for all 4) and its generate U$ 3-5 day for me.
  • aarioaario Member, PRO Posts: 256
    edited January 2012
    In my experience iAds makes way more money in endless runner type games. I have 3 games with iAds ANTS! lite, Road Rage Free and Road Rage HD. The road Rage series is an endless racing type game and here are the stats just to give you a good comparison. Also ANTS! Lite and Road Rage Free were released about 6 months ago and Road Rage HD was released in November.

App Revenue eCP Requests Impressions Fill Rate CTR
    ANTS! lite $12.01 $5.96 8,614 2,014 23.38% 2.98%

Road Rage FREE $416.20 $2.76 327,302 150,909 46.11% 1.34%

Road Rage HD $273.16 $4.85 169,559 56,266 33.18% 1.06%

As you can see with these numbers I've really become a believer in iAds so don't give up just yet on this wonderful money maker.
    (Download#s : ANTS! Lite=2,300, RRF=21000 and RRHD=10000)

ANTS Lite!: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ants!-lite/id448013003?mt=8
    Road Rage Free: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-rage-free/id451667466?mt=8
    Road Rage HD: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-rage-hd/id468644158?mt=8
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    edited January 2012
    @aario is that total revenue or monthly?

@POM thanx for the testing too, i kind of hesitate to run free games with iAD for that reason, but.. if the download keeps increasing (which usually doesn't happen most of the time in my case) you might get some sizable income with some tweak? i remember someone in the forum mention that they make 1-200 or 300 i can't remember per day from iAD because they placed the ad next to a button. i'd be pretty upset as a player but... if money keeps rolling in, hey it's a free game. personally i'm waiting for iAP so i can make free games and pay to disable ad purchase.
  • aarioaario Member, PRO Posts: 256
    @ultima Its total revenue during the last 6 months
    @aario i c, thank you for sharing. great stats.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    I have not seen much out of iAds so I stopped using them. I hope GS will add more Ad options soon.
    edited January 2012
    Yeah gabby i share your hopes =)

I just submitted a new binary without the iAds actors , basically thats what needs to be done to disable iAds right? if i need to take more action to disable iAds please let me know.
    i still have about 7-9 days to generate revenue from iAds until apple approves the new version.
    if there will be any interesting numbers be sure ill let you know.

Im getting ready for the next test -
    ★Testing IAP with 30,000 downloads★

=)
    Roy.
    i wish i can become a line cook and use IAP like NOW.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    Hey Roy ... super helpful that you are sharing this .. thanks.
    edited January 2012
    Those of you who are waiting for "the IAP test with 30,000 downloads" , you'll be glad to hear that i just submitted the new update to apple , loonimals now have 4 AWESOME power ups and a whole new 4th level (even higher) !!
    Glimpse to the in game Store:
    Photobucket

tomorrow ill wrap up the HD (iPad) version and send it as well.

Stay tuned :D

Roy.
    edited January 2012
    @p-o-m Good stuff Roy. Hope you get a good conversion rate. I'm right behind you with the iaps. I let HoneyTribe go free for a couple days and had enough downloads to be enthused. So I'm implementing the iaps now...

Have you played Temple Run? Those guys nailed it with the iap stuff.

Edit: hmm, your screen name doesn't want to be tagg-able for some reason.
    It's nice to see you try IAP in HoneyTribe, I really hope it will be worth for both of us ;)
    Sure I've played temple run, it's an amazing game IMO

What do you mean my screen name is not tagg-able?!

Roy.
    Normally the screen name tag is highlighted in purple like a link. But the hyphens seem to disable that in 'p-o-m'

But if you got an alert saying I mentioned you then it's fine.
  • JakeMorJakeMor Member, PRO Posts: 136
    edited January 2012
    My thoughts:
    I know I wouldn't buy one of those power ups for a dollar. I would let the user start off with all of the power ups (like when they first download/update the app). maybe even give them two uses of each. then charge a dollar every time to add another of each power up.
    I might even consider giving the use 3-4 uses of ever power up and charge a dollar for 2 uses of every power up. This way by the time their power ups are gone they will have been so used to playing with them they will NEED to buy more. Another Idea would be to start them off with 2 of each power up but have one power up randomly granted to them once a day.

Its a very big turn off to a user to have their gameplay limited by their willingness to buy power ups or game currencies. Its best when you allow them to enjoy as much as possible without paying but force them to pay if they are impatient. This way when they are shelling out the dollar they aren't thinking "screw you, you make me pay to play your game" their thinking "this game is fun and I'm defiantly not patient enough to wait an extra day for more power ups"

This is really why Temple Run was so successful with their IAP. A user can play the game and enjoy it to its fullest without buying gold - it would just be much quicker to buy some 20,000 coins for $4.99 :)
    edited January 2012
    @shmuley95
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts !
    Let me give you some info about what I did, the new update comes with 1 free power up for each type, and for each purchase the player makes he gets a pack of 3(not only 1.. But 3!) from the power up he purchased.

However, I really like the idea you suggested about the random power up a day, I wonder if this can lead to hacking the system .. Like changing the iphone date in order to get more powers..
    I like the Idea so much I think I'm gonna reject the binary and add this feature, but again, I don't want people to be able to "hack" the system, I wonder how I can achieve this,
    Im open for suggestions ;)
    If this doesn't turns out, giving a free random power up each 5 games might also work.. Does it?

Roy.
  • JakeMorJakeMor Member, PRO Posts: 136
    Thats great a power up every five games sounds awesome! maybe you can somehow convert all points earned into "animal snacks" and you can trade in snacks for power ups in some sort of in game store. This way you can sell packs like 100 snacks, 500 etc. I think it would work out well especially since your game probably excites kids from 8-14 years old the most - they can control themselves when it comes to buying something they want. It also lets people decide on how many power ups they want to buy.

Perhaps create an in app purchase for an extra bonus type of round as well - like some sort of mini game. People love those.

Keep us posted!

Jake