App for converting Raster to Vector

PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
Cocoapotrace is an application that can convert raster images (pixels) to vector images. It's similar to the trace features in Flash and Illustrator but, IMHO, it does a better job. It's really good for making solid shapes but it's not something you'd use to say, posterize artwork or convert gradients into vectors. Mostly you would want to use black and white art with anti-aliased edges. The interface is a simple drag and drop, drag your file onto the Cocoapotrace app and it creates a vector preview. There are some options you can tweak and then you can hit save and it creates an Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) file. The app is on a Japanese website and the download link is at the bottom of the paragraph of Japanese text.

There's more info about it from the creator of the webcomic PC Weenies.

Comments

• TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    edited January 2012
    Hm this image Pixelgun shows is already 'vector-looking' although it's a png. This source image has clean, bold lines, no grads etc...So there's not a big diff....

Best results if you want to vectorize an image is to trace it in vector...
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    Before
    After

@Touchtiltgames Not sure what image you were referring to as I didn't show any images. But here's the raster and the vector of a test I did on my own line art. The raster image is 72 dpi (zoomed screenshot from Photoshop). The vector came out great for what it had to work with. I usually use 300dpi raster images if I want to convert to vector however. Live Trace in Illustrator never handled that stuff very well and Flash worked a bit better. Hand tracing an image like this would take too long.

Admittedly this app is probably not too useful for game artists. Either you are going to start in a vector program or you don't use vectors at all.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    @Pixelgun … big Thanx!

I have one image that appears in several scenes … today I decided I would like in one scene to have that image blowing in the wind!
    going to try the png in CocoaPoTrace, think that will make it easier for me to work with!

@};- MH
  • hotMagichotMagic Member, PRO Posts: 266
    Ive tried vector magic before, not sure if you know that one already. http://vectormagic.com/home
  • PixelgunPixelgun Member Posts: 111
    @hotMagic it looks good though it's not free. Might be worth the investment, but I Cocoapotrace works for me.
  • MantoManto Member Posts: 796
    I have a problem with the conversion.