Platform Targeting?

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
There used to be a button when uploading an iPhone app. I could target the newer iPhones. I was getting ready to upload my app when I saw this question...

"Do you want to restrict this binary to a specific platform?"

I thought yes, but when I click the button, it mentions the "Info.plist" and links to a page with a lot and a lot of unhelpful words.

My game will likely run slower on older phones, so how do I restrict my app from older phones?

...should I restrict my app from old phones?
...if I edit the Info.plist, will it mess up my GameSalad app?

Comments

• mpramodjainmpramodjain Member Posts: 2
    I would also like to know about this issue
  • mpramodjainmpramodjain Member Posts: 2
    I think it might check UIRequireDeviceCapabilities and content mentioned as an array or dictionary.

For example if you check (yes) the wifi option in the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities, then it will not show on the device which doesnot have wifi. but most of Apple devices contain WIFI.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I think GS needs update their publishing options to take this into account. So that when we click publish and then iphone we get a option menu where we select the devices and then GS alters the info.plist.

I know nothing about object C or Xcode or any of that stuff so maybe what I am saying is pure nonsense, but I don't think we can do anything to our completed app file
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Need some input.

So I finally wrapped up an app that really taxes the GS engine (lots of constrains). The app runs fine on a 3GS but nothing else (although I haven't tried the latest gen Touch).

So I know the standard way of limiting what device an app can run on is setting some entries in a dictionary entry named "UIRequireDeviceCapabilities" in the info.plist file for the app. However, that is mainly to restrict to a device based on feature set (i.e. camera, compass, wifi, etc.).

Since I and the original poster want to "restrict" for performance reasons...other than some feature found only (?) on the 3GS and possibly newer Touches, what ways have others gone for this purpose?

Also, and this is my main question, if I put in the app description "For 3GS Only" or whatnot, will the Apple app review board reject the app?

Or do I wait until it is (hopefully) approved and then just edit the description afterwards? I don't want folks with older devices wasting their money on it.

This was mainly a test app so if it gets rejected for not running on slower devices, no big deal...little sad...but understandable.

Anyway, if anyone knows about adding such verbiage to your "Description" feel free to chime in!

TIA
    Oh where have all the cowboys gaaaaaaawn.

(ugh, that was, um, slightly, yeah...not that there is anything wrong with it)
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    Mozart To Infinity would have cleared 1st round if I could target just 3GS. Reality was that it crashed Apple's testers' iPod Touch so was rejected, twice.

Good thing was that forced me to explore optimising the audio part of the app and taught me some valuable lessons. :)
    There's no optimizing this app short of just cutting stuff from it. :-(
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm in the same boat, redump!

I believe someone else brought this issue up recently, and the GS team asked them to get in touch so they could help resolve the issue.

Essentially because you can't do it manually, I assume the GS guys have a way of sorting it out.

Any official word?

Cheers,

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

No word yet. It would be very cool if this app snuck through (and then I'll add the caution message in the description) and would make a very nice birthday present to myself to go along with all the stock I just sold. Hopefully 2010 is my year. Had some bad luck the last several.

I don't expect this app to make much but I have some ideas that hopefully will make a bit...maybe not FMG or TSB money but hopefully more than the 1-5 a day. :-( Knock on wood.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Well, as a GS owner I'll certainly give it a go if it's something I'd like.

Then again, JGary recently described me as 'redefining niche', so my taste may be a bit off ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    Do watch out about 'caution messages' in description. Apple had an issue with me putting one in for Mozart To Infinity and rejected the submission, though they said to just quickly edit the description and there's no need for a binary resubmission.