GS for iPhone and Mac differences??

TwimfyTwimfy Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I'm experienced with coding for iPhone using xcode (I have a few apps published already) but I'm wanting to move into game development and Gamesalad looks really tempting as I'm fed up with objective - C and the high prices for engines such as unity.

Anyway I'm currently travelling around Australia and would love to start working on a game however at the moment I can't really afford the $99 dollars to pay for the iPhone version of gamesalad.

If I were to start developing a game for mac with the iPhone in mind, how much would I have to change when I were ready to move it over to the iPhone? Are the differences between the two GS versions drastic or would I just have to adapt basics such as controls and screen size?

I've tried searching around but I've not come up with any answers, if someone could fill me in it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    you can download the GS software for free, you could even build a game fully designed for the iphone in terms of size etc but you just wouldnt be able to test or publish to the iphone. The main difference will be performance, when you preview on your computer things will be smooth but maybe, if u were previewing on your iphone, it may not be able to handle it, without testing on your phone, you have no real way of knowing. As for changes between the two, there wouldnt be much, it would be the basic size, controls, etc but in controls you could build it to support both from scratch. i.e. you may have a virtual joystick which controls movement, you would simply build a rule like, if joystick is right or keyboard right arrow is down, move character ..... So really it would be size and performance mainly