Templates and Backgrounds.

JeliosdeveloperJeliosdeveloper Member Posts: 0
Hi
I bought a background from the market place today and have put into my project. Am I allowed to use the background in my and sell my game it on the iTunes store. Just want to make sure that the background was not for use for in iOS development

Comments

• UnicornInvasionUnicornInvasion Member Posts: 301
    I think I know what you mean and Yes, You are 100% entitled to it because you bought it!
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    I have a related question: Are the images in the GameSalad templates, such as Alien Conquerors, available for our use (for the purpose of publishing games to the app store)? And who actually created that template? I'm assuming it's an official template because it's a lot more polished than some of the others, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I have significantly modified and improved upon that template and I'd like to know if I should replace all of the actors' images before I decide to publish. Thanks.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited March 2012
    You cant use any of the images unless it says you can. Just cause you bought it doesnt mean you can use the art.
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    @tatiang The graphics used in the official GS templates (that you find in the creator) are for demonstration purposes only, and shouldn't be used in a published app. I had found an excellent source for space games, but I can't find it at the moment. I'll pm you if I find it.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    You cant use any of the images unless it says you can. Just cause you bought it doesnt mean you can use the art.
    That was my assumption, but I wanted to be sure.

@LiquidGameworks - Thanks!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @unicorninvasion
    Thats very untrue, Unless specified in the item that it is for re-use or it has a re-use license then re-use is allowed, So therefore in the GameSalad marketplace if someone sells a template and says "I have left the art in the template with no watermark but please DO NO use" Then that means you can't use it.. Just because you buy something doesn't mean you own all the rights
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Thermo-Apps Website
    Thermo-Apps Forum
    Independent Game Developers 3rd Party Marketplace
    Gravity Bounce Is On the app store!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @thenegromario
    Oh no, We were talking about buying art in general.. like from shutter stock or something.... You should always check the license first! :D (Please edit your posts instead of posting one after the other :D Its a pet peeve of mine... XD)
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    @LeonardDeveloper
    well some of the 'we' are talking art … and 'others' are talking about templates … all the 'we' are talking about using what they bought or freely obtained and in games to be released in an appStore.

templates are generically a collection of code examples … some include images and sounds

when you buy a template, artwork, or soundEFX/music … you do not own that intellectual property … you have merely bought a right to use it
    …you can not resell that property

of course, anything you pay to have created … is shared intellectual property … and neither you nor the creator can resell without the other's permission

templates for coding are a grey area in terms of reuse … usually they can not be sold in entirety … but, as all code involves the same syntax … as long as you add to/delete from the original significantly, what you create is not a copy … but your own intellectual property

in artwork … any copying of a visually integral part of a larger work is considered infringement of intellectual property rights of the artist
    in music … coping three bars used to be the standard for infringement … now, I believe that the works are accessed as a whole and not just the few notes

when you buy the right to copy any work … the creator can limit how you use their work …primarily: personal or commercial (free is still commercial in an appStore app/game)

@};- MH
    I agree with my Mario Friend too!
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited March 2012
    @ Unicorn and mario

I wasnt talking about buying artwork, i was talking about templates. If you buy art from the marketplace you can use it in your games. a template you cant use the art in it unless it says you can like i posted above.
    Oh, I know that! I thought it was the art! Me and my mario friend thought it was art!