Will I get in trouble?

triton13triton13 Member Posts: 161
Hey guys, I am making a trailer for my game and I need some music. If I use a song or something that is on the radio or wherever, will I get in trouble by them? Would I get sued or anything just for having there song on my trailer? Thank you =)

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Here's a little life lesson. If you have to ask if its wrong, then it probably is. It means you're battling with your own conscious. Plus, Lars Ulrich will hunt you while you sleep. \m/
  • triton13triton13 Member Posts: 161
    Then what do you guys use for your trailers and stuff?
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Google royalty free music. You can get good music anywhere from $5-$100. Another excellent option is http://incompetech.com/, free, just have to credit him in your game.
  • triton13triton13 Member Posts: 161
    Alright, thanks man. =)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    edited March 2012
    We either put in the time and effort and do it ourselves, or buy it.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2012
    Another good way to get music is approaching musos who have work existing... many are willing to let you use it either free or for a percentage of sales... obviously not big name rock stars but there are loads of cool indie bands out there. That's what I did with Max Vector... the soundtrack is by 8 Bit Weapon. And I also found another amazing musician online who has joined my team and is making bespoke music for my games. It's not too hard to find artistic people willing to get their stuff out there if you can prove you have a great product ;-)
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Deep Blue Apps also has a free music pack … 10 tracks … one might suit you

http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./Home.html

you should at least do yourself a favor and download the Free/lite version of Resource Center

and for reasonable price they will compose music specific for your game.

@};- MH
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Don't forget the GS marketplace!
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    Hey guys, I am making a trailer for my game and I need some music. If I use a song or something that is on the radio or wherever, will I get in trouble by them? Would I get sued or anything just for having there song on my trailer? Thank you =)
    You'd most likely get a cease and desist order demanding you halt your illegal usage or else face legal action, although some might just skip that stage and just sue you, I write music for a living, personally I'd just sue.

It seems like a weird thing to me (perhaps because it's my job) that people would even have to ask these kinds of questions, I can't think of many other situations where people would wonder whether it's ok or not to steal other people's work ?
    Don't forget the GS marketplace!
    +1
    Another good way to get music is approaching musos who have work existing...
    +1
    I can't think of many other situations where people would wonder whether it's ok or not to steal other people's work ?
    Game dev. Remember Duck Hunt Kid? LOL.

Seriously, why is my PC messing up the formatting every time I post? GAH!!!!
  • rock1rock1 Member Posts: 12
    You definitely can't use music downloaded off the radio, taken from CD's or whatever when making a trailer. You need to find music where you can purchase a download that gives you license to use that music, or find free music that also has a license with it that allows you to use it. Generally the best thing is to use royalty free music. Two good sites for this are:
    www.productiontrax.com
    http://rocksuresoundz.com

If you use music from either of those sites then you won't run foul of copyright laws.