Splash-screen Judgements?

ShinplasterShinplaster Member Posts: 45
Company Name is Barron Inc, I got a friend to do this... I don't think he grasped the concept of a simple splash screen? but any judgments?

http://gyazo.com/bf6824f4575fe0d6f8d8f514b74df3f9

Comments

• calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Don't want to be rude but I don't really like it, looks kings weird on the grass

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    yea, that's just the default windows xp background with the sky replaced with planets. it's very recognizable.

• OmenaboOmenabo Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2012
    Yup, XP background, too much stuff, and I wonder if i've seen that planet before....

Anyway, a rule of thumb: Don't put too much stuff in when creating a logo or a splash screen. It makes it look amateurish. It'll also grow "old" very quickly.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    It's a cool image, but I wouldn't use it for a splash screen, mainly since you can't get permission to use that Windows background.
  • Ren_ElljayRen_Elljay Member Posts: 23
    I'm working on my first splash screen and logo as well. I'm definitely no expert, but I think less is more when it comes to these things. Also, your company name should be the most visible, and in this pic it's skinny and the shading makes it hard to read from a distance because parts of the grass are also shaded. It's actually the most important part.

If you don't want to start over, I'd create some white space by cutting the background into a circle - leave just enough to see a small part of the grass, a planet and some of outer space. Leave the outside white. Then put your company name on top, changing the text color or at least putting a really, really thin black or white border around it. Or just start again...

If you want to do it yourself "Gimp" is an awesome and free graphics editor with heaps of online tutorials on how to use it. I recommend you check it out.
  • ShinplasterShinplaster Member Posts: 45
    @RenElljay Hey, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to do just that, restart and hopefully get a better result...
  • xforcexforce Member Posts: 187
    Aliens font
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    My 2 cents: That company title may as well be writen with toothpicks. For the amount of screen space it takes up, It's too thin and hard to read on that background. The colors are nice and all but there is too much going on in that sceene that draws focus away from your brand. Fewer collors and a bolder font (maybe loose the gradient and bevel). If you need planetary pics check out NASA and JPL for their wonderful public domain photos.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    You can do it..
    But you'll get sued by Microsoft and warner brothers...
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    @LeonardDeveloper
    You mean 20th Century Fox don't you? I am more than certain that the font is one of the many freebie lookalikes out there, thus it's it legal. Unless it is an official font licensed and distributed via 20th Century Fox. Last time I checked the public created various alien style fonts for years as a "official" version was not available.

@Shinplaster I hear what the guys are saying by recognizing the font. The "I" is always the give away. The lense flare emitting right above the "I" is also easily associated with the aliens theming. Maybe cut the "I" so it loses its center bulge. The lense flare can stay, but I'd keep it away from the "I" as much as possible unless the "I" and flare style are changed. Play with inc. in upper and lower case. Maybe you can find a way to implement the solar flare (or star) to dot the "I" or form the period.