avid m-audio keystation mini or akai lpk25?

FirstDanFirstDan Member Posts: 208
Which is the better keyboard?

I need something portable and these seem to be quite good, with a good price.

Thanks

Dan

Answers

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I'd go with the M-Audio. They work flawless on a Mac. I use a M-Audio Keystation 61es, but it's huge and heavy. The Akai is a lot smaller, but I've never heard of them personally, and it kinda looks like a piece of crap. Just my opinion.

And by portable, I take it you mean with a laptop? Because these aren't stand alone keyboards, they are controllers. Sorry if that was a stupid question.
  • FirstDanFirstDan Member Posts: 208
    @SlickZero - Yes for my macbook, and yes midi controller etc. Thanks for your help, I will get the M-Audio, while I'm at it, do you know if I can program chords,
    for example, Im not a pianist etc but i can write music, all i want to do is hit a button and it will play either an A minor etc
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    I actually own the Akai model, and it works well for what it is. However, the keys are not weighted at all, so it isn't nearly as sensitive as I'd like it to be (I manual adjust velocity in DAW anyways). And, as SZ mentions, its a controller only. No internal sounds, just a midi controller.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Support is way better with M-audio keyboards. There is a reason they showcase the in the Apple stores! ;)
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 - a bit of a beast but great.

Been looking at one of these for portable fun with my iPhone :)

probably comparable to the mini and similar price.

• FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    There is also a KORG Nano key. It just depends on how small it needs to be!
  • Holderness_Media_IncHolderness_Media_Inc Member Posts: 118
    My personal experience with M-Audio stuff is not good, but they're newer models may be better.
    Between my personal gear and my last job's gear, I've had 2 out of 5 M audio keyboards die completely, and the one I bought my girlfriend has mad issues with stuck notes and messages.
    I've never used the akai but I like akai gear, I've owned an MPC1000 and Apc-40 and both were solid machines.

Personally I would recommend getting a Korg, I think they have a new keyboard model aimed at iOS devices. I've owned lots of korg gear, mostly synths, and seriously every piece is well built, even their cheapo model guitar tuners are awesome.
  • JayronJayron Member Posts: 1
    I have the Akai MPK 25 and it is WAY better the the M-Audio. I use it with Ableton and it has direct mapping and the better mapping options of the two