could you guys give me feedback on this walk cycle?

arkonllfarkonllf Member Posts: 118
so i am working on a new platform game,
the design will look like this(with a different background):
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/41815/what-do-you-think-about-this-idea#Item_8

and now i just finished animating the main character (first time i ever animate)-

(if the animation is not working click the character)

so what do you guys think? does it look real?

Comments

• arkonllfarkonllf Member Posts: 118
    thanks tsb!
  • PsychoticStudiosPsychoticStudios Member Posts: 101
    Looks awesome. My first walk cycle looked like he was trying to shuffle

• DoguzDoguz Member Posts: 500
    The sword starts out behind him, but ends in front of him. Also I wouldn't mack the sword go below ground level.
  • PsychoticStudiosPsychoticStudios Member Posts: 101
    The sword starts out behind him, but ends in front of him. Also I wouldn't mack the sword go below ground level.
    I see it starting in the front plus who is gonna really notice if it's on a loop. I also you think you should make the sword go through ground level I just think it would look nicer then a small wiggle in front of him. Only problem is you can't have him collide with the ground if thats what you wanted because the sword would be apart of the hit-box. It's up to you though :D
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    The weapon is awkward looking. Its in the far hand but appears to pass in front. and it swipes way below the character. Thats prob not very realistic if hes walking on anything solid.

I guess I others have said the same thing so i'll go ahead and shut up now :)
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Let me show you a quick 6 frame walk cycle of the guy. With a weapon or pretty much anything larger or aimed in hand the arm won't swing as much as you made it swing. The weapon shouldn't go below the ground.

I hope this helps.
    thank you so much for the helpful comments guys!
    ill change the sword problem, and make it look like in spriteattack's photo.
    i will post the new animation when i finish...
    p.s spriteattack is that a better walk cycle than the one i used?(except for the sword)
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    and maybe do a bluey thing when the weapon comes down?
    edited April 2012
    @calvin9403 i don't really understand what you mean..
    @SpriteAttack i made a new walk cycle like the one you made+a small eye blink, how is this-

i know the sword is still cutting but it is just because of the bad cropping.
    is this walk cycle better than the first one?(except for the sword)
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    It kind of looks like he is marching, Well, to me it does. I like the character though!
  • SAZ_1SAZ_1 Member Posts: 397
    +1 to @dreamlab .. does look like he's marching... maybe stretch out his legs a bit backwards or something... reminds me of earthworm jim!
  • PhiliePhilie PRO Posts: 240
    Yeah, I agree with @DreamLab and @SAZ_1 - looks like he is marching, but I love how he looks, great character!
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    like a cool slash effect when you see in some games?
    @DreamLab
    @SAZ_1
    @Philie
    i didn't notice it before but now i see what you guys mean it does look like he is marching...
    but i followed each step that spriteattack put in his photo,well i will try changing it a little and i will post it when i am done. :D

@calvin9403
    i like that idea! this is just the basic walking cycle, but i will add some cool affects like that one! ;)
  • xforcexforce Member Posts: 187
    to be honest your first walk cycle was alot better than that new one you made eventhough the sword is doing that slashing stuff.

the new one needs much more movement in it. he looks hes trying to carefully make his way to the toilet without busting.

put more movement into his whole body similar to the first one you made except dont make him swing his arms so much forward and back like hes a washing machine. but thats subjective to the style you want really. cartoony walk or realistic walk.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Nice character i like the 2nd one best.

Darren.
    The legs need to shift back further... they stop right under the body... they need to go further back and then get lifted up... You stopped them on the spot, which makes the walk look less dynamic...
    edited April 2012
    well here is another try...never knew animating can be so hard! :D

p.s is it better with the blink? or better without?
  • patapplepatapple Member Posts: 873
    edited April 2012
    Better with... It is more real
  • theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Member Posts: 359
    edited April 2012
    Better with the Blink, but do it less often. And NICE job! My first Walk Cycle didn't look anything like that. It was a lot worse lol. You've got talent.

Go Check out my Progress on GSBot!
    Follow me on Twitter
    @patapple
    @theCodeMonsters
    i will kepp the blinck and make less often :)>-
    thank you theCodeMonsters, but i couldn't do it without the help of this great community!!
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    Make the legs animation similar to the first one. Less choppy. Other than that it looks fantastic
    edited April 2012
    @arkonllf - your legs are not moving right still (once the are past the body centre they need to keep moving backwards - well it's not the legs moving backwards but the body moving forward. When using in the game it needs to be timed right to keep the legs from shuffeling:

It's a slow walk cycle - it would need to be a lot more dynamic to make it a fast walk or even a run.
    @SpriteAttack - wow nice walk cycle!
    i will try making it look like yours, i hope it will work this time..
    @arkonllf - you can have this one, mate... ;)
  • fishZombiefishZombie Member, PRO Posts: 46
    dude, you can find about 10,000 walk cycles on line. why are you banging you head on this? Do a search for walk cycle, 2d walk cycle, flash walk cycle, walk cycle break down, etc. and you see all kinds of break downs.
    Your biggest problem is that you are not setting you major keys first, and you are ping-ponging your animation. It's a cycle. A Loop. Frame 1, and last frame should look the same before you delete it. Yes. delete. the last frame gets deleted, so it works as a cycle, and doesn't stick on that frame.
    Start with the contact frames. that's the point where the legs are furthest apart, and touching the ground. That way you know your stride-length. then do your Passing-Frame. That's where one leg is passing the other. This should look like a backwards 4.
    Then you fill in the Lowest frame, and the highest. Lowest is after the Contact, and the highest is Before the Contact Frame. Highest frame, only has ONE foot on the ground.
    You can also take any avi and step through the frames of a walk, and see what is going on.
    good luck.