Should graphics by multiples of 2?

bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
I have looked for an article I read here about sizes of graphics. Is it best to be muliples of 2 ? meaning 24 instead of 25 pixels wide? Can someone explain if this is true?

Comments

• synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Yes...this way if it is scaled...you won't end up with a half pixel which will cause a resolution drop.

even numbers always multiply to even numbers.

It is not as critical if you never plan to scale it.
  • bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
    ok, that totally makes sense. Can't divide a pixel into two....

Thanks you Synthesis.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    yeah, just make sure none of the dimensions on any of your graphics are odd.

since gamesalad centers everything, any odd dimension will cause a pixel to get split - causing a blur. this will happen even at 100% scale.

the article you read most likely mentions 'powers' of two. i.e. 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024.
    if you can keep your dimensions close to those numbers (without going over) you will save the most memory. so if possible, instead of a graphic being 66x40, try and make it 64x40. GS needs to reserve the next highest power of 2 chunk in memory to hold your graphics. so a 66x40 graphic actually requires a 128x64 chunk of memory, whereas a 64x40 can fit in a 64x64 chunk. you don't need to let it dictate your design, but it's something to be aware of...
  • bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
    that is awesome info. I will see what I can do to optimize my graphics
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    GOOD TIP FMG!!!
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    You can use odd pixel dimensions without blur if you change the actor attribute in graphics — horizontal and vertical wrap to fixed.

If I'm not resizing actors, that is one of the first things I change when creating a new actor.