use song (legal or illegal)

saadaoui59saadaoui59 Member Posts: 13
hello everybody
so i have a question: when i use for exemple a sound of generique movie in my game is it legal or illegal?
thank you

Best Answer

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Posts: 6,256
    Accepted Answer
    Come on now..

If you dont own it, didnt buy rights to use it, or dont have permission to use it you cant.

Answers

• mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Definitely a million percent illegal unless it's royalty free. Anything other than that is stealing.

Ace
    Beaten by a few seconds by John 'the rocket' Papiomitis
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Beaten by a few seconds by John 'the rocket' Papiomitis
    hehehe ;)
  • saadaoui59saadaoui59 Member Posts: 13
    so if i understand:
    me i have the album of the generique of dexter but i didnt buy rights to use it: i can't use it
    so my question: how can i buy rights to use it
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Refer to my comment above. Its no differnt then walking into a store grabbing something and walking out. If you didnt pay for it, or the store owner didnt tell you that you could have it or use it, then you cant take it.

And if your talking about buying rights to a song off a cd put out by a record label or something like that, then it could cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

Your best bet is to look for royalty free open domain music, or hire a sound guy to make some music for you game, or search for songs you can purchase online to use in commercial media.
    Definitely not.

If it's music that was used in Dexter, then it will be exclusively written or licensed to that show and if it isn't bound to an exclusive licence, then you will be paying thousands of dollars to use it.

Ace
  • saadaoui59saadaoui59 Member Posts: 13
    do you know a site of free music that i can use ?
  • PhiliePhilie PRO Posts: 240
    Search up creative commons music. Some creative commons licenses allow you to use it for commercial use, for no money at all. You can also search royalty free music, and spend very little on music!
  • poorcollegedevpoorcollegedev Member Posts: 289
    mattmcfarland.com is a great place!