Copyright image issue

JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
Hi
I am looking for some images I can use and perhaps edit for my game.
Before this I have limited myself to images/sound etc. which are: free to use, modify, share, even commercially.

Particularly on the 'commercial' aspect of this, do I need to be so picky and does commercial refer to just selling the image on its own??? Could I use it if I was making a free app?????

Cheers

Best Answer

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870
    edited April 2012 Accepted Answer
    Commercial means you will be using it in a professional manner, such as mass distribution in a product, or anything that benefits you in some way as a company or individual, and it doesn't matter if you make a profit or not. So, It won't make a difference if your game/app is free or if it's paid. If you don't own the image, or have permission/license to use it, it would be illegal, even if you altered the image it in some way.

Answers

• JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    Thanks SlickZero, I feared so :P
  • jackrbrownjackrbrown Member Posts: 1
    Digital photography protection in the online world is a tough task to achieve the best and time tested way of protecting your images is by using a visible watermark. i would like to share you about watermark software - Mass Watermark ( www.masswatermark.com )
  • DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    edited January 2013
    Only problem with watermarking is that it extremely easy to recreate a picture with a graphics program. It works for protecting from "the average person" but if someone want to steal your art, they will do it anyway.. :(
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    Only problem with watermarking is that it extremely easy to recreate a picture with a graphics program. It works for protecting from "the average person" but if someone want to steal your art, they will do it anyway.. :(
    Agreed, with kind of watermarking you often see here on this forum it would be pretty straightforward to either remove the watermarking or simply recreate it (like you say).