used crowd spring? experience with it...?

morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Member, PRO Posts: 449
Just wondering if anyone has used crown spring before to get art or music for their game?

how was you experience? did you go over the min offering? did that help you get more offers/entries?

in general how did you feel about the experience?

Best Answer

• SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Posts: 524
    Accepted Answer
    @morphinegamingmachine - thanks... I am trying to get people to see game art in a different way and maybe improve the overall level of GS game art just a little bit...

Answers

• morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Member, PRO Posts: 449
    just a bumb before bed :P
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    I have been taking part in some of the competitions on crowdspring and 99design - mainly for the fun of it... I find the concept borderline unethical and most of the contests are run by people with no clear idea what they are after and how it should look like in the end... and that's where the main problem lies. With a one-on-one artist developer relationship you can exchange ideas and educate each other in what's needed and what works. On these competition sites a lot of artists compete for very small rewards and in the end it's rarely the best design winning. It's gone so far that designs clearly ripped off from others or copied form the internet won... and neither crowdspring nor 99design react properly imho when this happens...

If you want a lot for your buck and don't mind screwing a few young artists with the vague prospect of winning the competition - yes - crowdspring is a great place.

If you want proper game art at a fair price I would still advertise and look in forums that are game related - as there is a big difference between an illustrator and someone skilled in doing game art.

Good luck!
  • morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Member, PRO Posts: 449
    i knew the. one prize competition thing would come up because its banned on these forums. i don't mean to "screw over" the artists. i just haven't found someone to work one on one with.

also i haven't made a project on those websites before. just considering doing it in the future.

i guess since it free market the people are basically volunteering their designs for the possibility of the prizes so they know they rant guaranteed.

but on the flip side i see your point also.

i am just curious if someone has successfully run a project and liked the results.

btw sprite attack your art is awesome, you make so many "hey heres what i think would be good" in the forums that you really help the community.