Mac Desktop Games / Marketing Web Games

jlbjorkjlbjork Member Posts: 13
edited November -1 in Introductions
The "what is game salad" description says that it can create Mac Deskop games. How is that done? I see how to publish web games and iphone apps, but not the standalone Mac games.

As for the web games thing, how does one make money on a web-game? The only thing I can think of is to require a session variable in the webpage that the game is embedded in, and sell access to the page - but unless I am missing something, the game will still be available for free on the gamesalad.com website, correct?

Comments

• EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    You don't make money off of web games, for the most part. I can't think how you would (GS web games).

And do you have the newest version of GameSalad? Desktop publishing is a recent addition, but it appears right next to publish to phone and web.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    there should be a little Imac looking icon.

Publish that and just put what it gives you back in your applications.
    at that point you can zip and put them on your website for sale or download.

The cool theing is no matter what size or orientation you publish it resizes the widow so it looks good.

Apple can list them on their website as well. The same way you publish iphone games (see dev portal on apples site for details)
  • jlbjorkjlbjork Member Posts: 13
    Doh! Thanks.
    If you're game is good you can make descent money.

There are companies that like big fish games that sell games like we make.

Im sure there are others but they are the biggest.

***just be careful sending them something to review. You dont wanna send them anything unless you feel it is really good. Its not like apple where they just list whatever is made. Plus sending a small unpolished games may ruin your chances in the future.

Im not saying anyone makes crappy games but a lot of our GS games (mine included) aren't something a site like that would sell.

Although im sure danger cats or red block remover would sell fine on a site like that.

I guess what im trying to say is a good game and some marketing can sell well.

Also big fish games lets anyone download the full game for free with a 15min expiration they add. Pretty cool for upgrades.
  • Pas976Pas976 Member Posts: 41
    you can also add ads to your site and make the gamesalad web version private. this lets you make money when people play your game/
    good call, plus you can make them the right size again
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    I'm not sure if this is good for the long run, but I have been compiling both for the web and for the desktop and then putting the links on my App's webpage.

You can take a quick look at how I did it at:

http://www.scorelessmusic.com/mozart

as well as http://www.scorelessmusic.com/apps/timer
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    I wonder if we could sell our apps via this site - http://appbodega.com/

There are some heavy duty Mac apps already on the site. I don't think it would be to hard to upload the Mac version of an app.

Anyone else thought of doing this?