questions - please help :)

charlieaf92charlieaf92 Member Posts: 84
Hello

I have been shopping for a game engine for quite some time. I am an iPhone developer. I have looked over this site and everything seems vague - there are very few details. Combine that with a lack of search feature on the forum and I am confused... So, I have a few questions...

1. I see there is an iPhone app available created with gamesalad - yet I can't find any documentation for exporting or compiling games in xcode. Please advise.

2. Does this cost money? If so, why not? I may be crazy, but this seems like a broken business model if you are not charging.

3. Is there any way to write custom scripting for gamesalad or is it completely locked into the GUI?

EDIT : I just came across the FAQ on the wiki (again it was very vague but it did answer question 1. But added additional questions

4. is the pricing going to be a 'per game output' or can we buy a license for the viewer?

5. when will this be available - I am in the market for an engine now. i came across game salad in may. if this is not going to be ready in the near future (inside of 30 days) I will likely go with a different engine. Please let me know - thank you.

That's it for now - thanks in advance.
charlie

Comments

• superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    Hi Charlie.

1) Flutterby, the game in question was developed as an internal proof of concept of using GameSalad to create iPhone games.

2) GameSalad Creator, the tool used to make games, is and will continue to be free. Our goal is to make game creation as accessible to as many people as possible. However once someone decides to use the tool for profit such as making an iPhone game, then yes: we will charge.

3) No, currently there is no way to write custom scripting. However the behavior system is quite powerful and can be used to make a variety of logic types. Also keep in mind that the tool will continue to be improved, so you will see more powerful and flexible additions in the near future.

4) The pricing for GameSalad Viewer (the iPhone app that allows one to test on their device) has not yet been announced. We are in the process of making it available on the App Store, which will provide one way of obtaining it on your phone.

5) The release date has not yet been announced. We will be giving more information as soon as we can, and quite likely within your time frame. My suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the tool and at the least, use GameSalad to prototype your game.

Thanks for your interest and we look forward to sharing more details with everyone soon.