GameSalad Plugin crashes Safari almost every time

homelesswombathomelesswombat Member Posts: 73
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I usually manage to play 1-2 games before GS Plugin decides to fail and close Safari. Usually this happens when I click on the "restart" button. This button is definitely a part of the plugin, so it's not any one game doing it. I know some games are buggy, but does Safari crash as often for others as it does for me? It happens even on well known games like Kill the King and Cat Rides the Astrobus.

Is it even worth laying down $99 for the express package when the basic framework is so unstable? I've made a game but haven't posted it for just that reason. I don't even have an iPhone, (someday I may) so I was hoping that the web-game aspect of GS was ... well, a LOT stronger.

The least they could do is organize the web games in two groups: fully functioning and not finished. That way you don't get half the games on the web-games front page that bug out and crash Safari after 30 seconds. Seriously, The Sheep's Transporter has been front and center for months and it doesn't even work!

Comments

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    edit. Sorry for typos I'm on my phone

I rarely get a crash unless I have gs open while using the plugin.

However I agree I think it looks pretty bad when you (game salad) are trying to show off your games and half the stuff you see is broken de is from last novemeber that doesn't play on the current version.

However I would def at least get an iPod before you upgrade. You'll want to test the stuff first.

IMO I think it is worth it though. Even with it's shirt comings there is nothing like it and I have almost made my money back on the pro version. I woulndnt even have a game out yet with torque. Heck ibises it for a month and never finished anything.

You aren't going to make the next killer fps shooter here but if you work with what you have you can donsome great stuff.

And hav alot of fun doing it.
  • CoreJayCoreJay Member Posts: 17
    I've had occasional crashes, but nothing to that level...

I just tried out Sheep Transporter for a few minutes and didn't crash at all while playing it.

Hmm... maybe something is wrong with your installation plugin? I'm not sure.

Now for the reset button: Yes, that thing is messy. Crashes my browser a lot.

I would like to see the site organized so Games, Demos, and Tests are separated out.
  • homelesswombathomelesswombat Member Posts: 73
    Yeah I've tried the same games on my girlfriend's computer and I get about the same amount of crashes.

Sheep's Transporter doesn't crash, it just doesn't work. The plank stops following the mouse after the second flag on my computer.

It would be cool if you could browse GS games with a "crash date" and "update" filter on it. That way if the game has crashed after it was updated, you know it is still buggy.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    GS seems to be totally focused on iphone games (understandably so). I agree that work needs to be done on the web side of things. I would appreciate a much more stable web platform along with support for other browsers. If your goal is to make great web games then you may want to wait until GS is out of beta, but if you want the ability to make good games for the appstore you can do that now and pretty easily.

If you decide to go ahead with this you really want to get an iphone or itouch. You can get itouches with cracks in the glass for around $50 I read on this forum (ebay, maybe).
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Just make sure you have the latest plugin, for the longest time Safari never prompted me to upgrade, I had .6 installed when the web was using .7. It crashed all the time. Since upgrading to 0.8.3, it's been much more stable.