Importing Art into Gamesalad - Best Practices

CluvCluv Member Posts: 229
Hello!

I have started to create the art assets for my game. In a funny twist, I am using Pixen to create Pixel art that I then vectorize in Inkscape. So far, I am enjoying the results.

With that being said, I would like to import my art into GameSalad. I was under the impression that I could import the vector art itself. I thought that would be cool so I could resize it in game; maybe even create a zoom in function. GameSalad, however, doesn't seem to want to take the vector art. I know I can convert it to png or bmp or what-have-you. I was wondering if I indeed have to convert the pictures and if so, what is the best way to do it. Also, would it make sense to resize the art extra large and then import it, then make it smaller for specific uses? Or, is there a better way of handling the art.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Charles

Best Answer

• RPRP Posts: 1,990
    edited May 2012 Accepted Answer
    Was the graphic project set as 72 dpi?

I thought that GameSalad did now support SVG files (perhaps that was in the works maybe not yet). Nah scratch that I just tested it myself.

Save it as a .png file preserving the canvas alpha channel (I believe the canvas is transparent by default in Inkscape). GameSalad will take care of the rest. You can import the images larger and resize them. Since they get flattened smaller images will not look as clean when they are scaled.

Answers

• CluvCluv Member Posts: 229
    @RP, thanks! Worked great. The issue I am having now though is that it is a circular graphic that now has a white boxed background. I guess that means transparency isn't default in Inkscape. Do you know how to remove that in Inkscape offhand?
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited May 2012
    Are you using the export method or save as?
    I think there is only export BMP
    Nevermind, it exports is as PNG, but the button is labeled "export BMP".......
    @RP, when I imported it, and then dragged the actor into the scene, the size wasn't what I had set when I exported it. It was set to 201 something. I set it back to 128x128 (the original size) and it looked crisper. Any thoughts?
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Try export as bitmap, you will see options to adjust the dpi etc (make sure that is set to 72dpi ). Save it where you like. And try importing it into game salad. I just gave it a whirl and it worked for me.
    @RP, thanks. Funny, when I set it to 72 dpi, then the bitmap size changed. I had to manually resize my picture until it was set to the correct dpi and size. Man, complicated. It now looks crisp and right though. Thanks!
    @tshirtbooth, thanks. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
  • xforcexforce Member Posts: 187
    edited May 2012
    if an image doesn't need transparency save out as a png8

while the casual user won't notice the difference in quality between png8 and png24 theres still a small difference that a keen eye would spot. if the image requires transparency then always use png24. you can convert it to png8 later if you need to save on file size

always save the image as a multiple of 4

you can animate by either importing a full animation sequence or you can just use various behaviours in GS to "animate". so if its a simple up/down bobble movement for example, dont import 25 frames or whatever. just use interlope so ur only using 1 image

don't drag a bunch of images all at once into the animate behaviour. while its quicker to do so if you ever import a bunch of images at once GS sometimes likes to change the ordering of them. when you drag in the images to the animate behaviour they'll be in whatever order they were set at in the images window. when you goto play your animation you might notice strange jerky movement. thats because one or more of your frames is in the wrong position (because GS can't count). so... pull them in one at a time unless you know for sure that they are in the correct order

an invisible actor still eats up memory. GS still registers the image as loaded so be wary of how many invisible actors you have on the scene

your art assets can and will appear smaller on ipod/iphone/ipad. monitor pixel size > iDevice pixel size

happens very very rarely, but GS sometimes freezes when importing images, especially a large amount of them at once. if it freezes up just cancel/close out then retry. make sure that if GS asks you about the file name to replace the previous files. sometimes GS can create "phantom" images that you know you've imported but you can't see them in the window. replacing them again seems to fix it.
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    nothing against dba, but whats the difference between image alpha + imageoptim vs dba's tool?
    i get GREAT results with imageoptim+imagealpha combo. plus its free. just wondering :P
  • PixelPunPixelPun Member Posts: 324
    @tshirtbooth I didn't know there was such a thing... Im going to pick this up when I get home.
    @xforce: Thanks for the extra info. On that topic: is there a way to export images in Inkscape at the different qualities? Do you know if there is a default?

Thanks!
  • xforcexforce Member Posts: 187
    couldnt tell you to be honest. i use photoshop for all my art. someone else here can probably answer that though