iPhone + iPad + Mac + HTML5 game.

rommaromma Member Posts: 114
Hey Guys,

Im about to start working on a game that I need to deploy to all of these platforms.

What are the tips and semantic way of handling images and there sizes, etc? Do I technically need to make a "project" for each platform?

Share me your experience so I can learn from them!

Thanks!

Answers

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    There's a tool called GS Project Resizer by Deep Blue Apps - it will make things much easier.
  • rommaromma Member Posts: 114
    Yes, I've been reading on that, anyone have experience with it? Will it keep image quality good?

I assume I would need to work on the "biggest" size first.
    edited May 2012
    Yes, I've been reading on that, anyone have experience with it? Will it keep image quality good?

I assume I would need to work on the "biggest" size first.
    I used it with my every game - I first made iPhone version, that used GS Project Resizer to make an iPad version. I can recommend it to you - it will change the entire game to be in the right size, but it won't change images.
    iPad has a new, huge resolution, so I suggest to make all graphics in 2048x1536 resolution, and resize them to iPhone size.
    Ah, thats perfect, good to know it doesn't resize images, so yea, working on huge resolution first. I guess the MAC version can use the "iPad3" size.
    Ah, thats perfect, good to know it doesn't resize images, so yea, working on huge resolution first. I guess the MAC version can use the "iPad3" size.
    If you want to resize any image, I can recommend you BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 4 - it's the best image resizing software available.
    Isn't it best to design the game at a top resolution and then resize "down" accordingly with PS?
    Isn't it best to design the game at a top resolution and then resize "down" accordingly with PS?
    Yes, it's best to design graphics for the new iPad, but if you want to resize them, you should consider using this software. If you have some sharp graphics, pixel art, or something like that, and you want to achive the best quality possible (after resizing the image), you should use this software.
    It all depends on style of your graphics.
    edited May 2012
    Hey, i watched this video on the GS resizer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z6wjKF9oxFw) and it's great!

One question though, It did resize the images for him, or atleast the actors that where images.

Would I get low res results if from big iPad3 size I go to iphone4 without using any software, just this tool?

Best;
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    The Project Resizer works really well. You might still have to edit some of your rules but that tool works perfectly for resizing the graphics. Well worth the money.
    It doesn't resize graphics guys. It resizes scenes, actors, etc. Graphic resolution stays the same.
    If you resize iPhone game to iPad game, graphics will be full screen, but they will be stretched to fit the new sized actors.
    So last question, technically I can't work on a 2048x1536 canvas in GS, so how do I start making my game?
    So last question, technically I can't work on a 2048x1536 canvas in GS, so how do I start making my game?
    You have to wait for GS to add a Resolution Independace for iPad.