GS permanently slowed down.

HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Suddenly GS stopped working right.

Even after a laptop restart, it acts like it were used since hours. Responding very slow if it even responses and it crashes, when I hit the back button in the review window. It takes ages to start up.

It started from one second to the other.

What do you mac people do for maintaining your machines? Is there something like defragmenting and registry cleaning and such?

Comments

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    No really necessary on a Mac. I do a "rebuild permissions" every couple of weeks just as a scheduled maintenance.

Have you ruled out a virus? (you're on a hack, correct?)
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I have no virus because I am not on the net with that machine.

I turn on the net only for building the app. Yes, it's a hack, but please... I am tired of this.

It worked over a month now without problems. Why would it start to be a bad hack now?

I use it only for making my app and there is nothing on it except GS.

How do I do that rebuild stuff?
    tshirt: that is not so simple.

First of all, it's not my money (or not only mine) and second, we still don't have it :-)

I have no $1000 right now to spend on a mac.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I don't know how many problems this program has fixed for me

It is possible that some sort of windows service has been broken by GS.
    If so this may fix it

Has to be hands down the best thing for a pc

its free, messes nothing up, and is certainly worth a try

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol;pop
    Thank you!

I will try.

I found some rebuild function on the mac (like design219 said) and it seems to have fixed the problem, but I will try your link too.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nope, the rebuild didn't fix it :-)

EDIT2: TinyMonster: your link is a windows.exe. I need something for Mac :-P
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    A new Mac Mini is around $600... and isn't it against the Apple license agreement to create iPhone / iPod Touch apps without using an actual Mac?

There are a lot of things Gendai Games needs to work on. Hackintosh support, I don't think that's one of them.

"Rebuild Permissions" sound like fun. Heh... it's been a long time since I rebuilt the desktop on a Mac, so this can be something like that. I'm running Disk Utility now... there's something permissions over there, so I'm checking it out.

I bought my Mac Mini for iPhone / iPod Touch development. It seems like a huge waste of money right now, but I keep trying.
    Photics: My mom knows somebody, who has a friend, who already had a mac once. Does that count for the agreement? :-P

As long as I don't want to publish it, I can mess with GS around so much as I want, can't I? :-)

I don't want support from Gendai for hack. They rarely post here, so I think it is also not how it looks like :-)

Anyway, if it doesn't get better, I will try to reinstall the whole thing.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I've played with a bunch of hackintoshes over the past few years, and while they are fun to poke around with, I've never had one be as fast / stable or reliable as my iMac, and I've build 5 or 6 of them, 2 desktops and 3 or 4 laptops. Get a real mac and most of your problems will go away.
    As far as I know, not all mac minis are good for GS and SDK.

Which processor do I have to look for? Intel, right?

A G4 won't work, right?
    correct, only works on intel macs correct

All the current mac minis work fine

I have the cheapest one you can get and its running a couple 22" monitors and an m-audio audio interface with no problems at all.

I was a little hesitant to get a new computer having been a PC gaming nerd (have to build it all myself, you know the type lol). but im pretty impressed by the little 599.99 monster.

I'm not trying to sell you on one, i guess im just saying if you do end up getting one the cheapest is more than enough.

To be honest i wouldnt mind trying the hack myself so i can have something on my notebook.
    Kinda mad at myself for just getting a highend PC notebook right after i relized i may just be a mac guy
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    You don't need $1000 for a mac.

If you only use it for GS then I think a Mac Mini will be enough which go from $599, their still reasonably powerful and have a great graphics card in them.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTAyNTQzNTk
    Ok ok I get it! :-)
    Thanks!
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    Oh sry didn't see someone mentioned it before.
    @hunnen

Dude, you should get a mac
    Ok, I figured it out.

Somehow, when I nest a particular rule into another particular rule in a particular scene, GS gets crazy and crashes.

Until now it doesn't matter if I copy the rule and nest it, or I build it from scratch and nest it. If I nest it, GS crashes and gets slow as hell on startup.

I don't know why, because other similar rules work fine (at least I didn't experience any problems yet).

The rule is to flip an image if a random number is true and move it from one side to another nested into the rule where the same image is moving from the other side to the one side if another random number is true.

(I try to let fishes swim from random sides on random heights to the other side)

If I delete the rule, everything is fine.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I had some major problems with version .6 or so when I tried copying a rule from one game to another. I will NEVER do that again. It trashed everything and I had to start from scratch.
    That is still so.

If you copy rules from one project to another, you screw your whole project and can start fromscratch :-)

I experienced it too and I tested it with shared and new projects.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    The trouble with copying Rules is that the Attribute NAMES are just for our reference. This is why you can have more than one Attribute in an Actor with the same exact name. Each attribute name is tied to a unique ID.

If that ID is missing in the destination project, things get goofed up.
    Then it's time to start copying those IDs with the names together :-P