iPad ordered...

CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
edited November -1 in Introductions
The pre-orders for iPad went live at 8:30am EST. I had finished placing my order by 8:33am! Hopefully GS Viewer and App Store GS based games will work ok.

Comments

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Cool. I'll hold off until at least the second generation.
  • harrioharrio Member Posts: 234
    what's cookin,

ordered mine as well. so qsheep and has a free tester anytime.

noodles...
  • ipwnuipwnu Member Posts: 19
    hmmmm looks like snow leopard is the only os that has the simulator for ipad. Looks like I am upgrading afterall.
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    I don't think I can even order one. I'm in Singapore. *sigh*
  • guru-at-zidwareguru-at-zidware Member Posts: 369
    I reserved mine also, the GS project size was changed recently to 1024x768 (for desktop apps) so I think that's a good sign. The GS folk will need hardware to test, so we all have to wait until the 3rd.
    @tshirtbooth.......I am from Toronto originally! Had a small dev company called Planet Design, we built sets for the CBC.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    I reserved mine at the local store. Looking forward to April 3! ;)

As for iPad support in GameSalad, it's a no-brainer. With support for developing in that resolution, all it takes is probably a few more tweaks and you can release an iPad-only version of your game.

Would be nice if the engine can detect the device and set the max resolution, but that's probably asking for too much.
    well I am not so sure......I have been designed 2 iPad apps and the amount of art and fidelity is a lot to think about now compared to the iPhone. Much more work. I really appreciate the iPhone much more now. 1024x768 is a lot of game space.....
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    I'm tempted to get an iPad too. It could be up to 12 months before a second version is released.
    If we were all smart, we would probably prepare an iPad resolution version of our games for when GameSalad releases their iPad port.
    You just know it's coming.....
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    I really want to get one but just like the Touch, I don't want to be feeling the need to buy the second gen because they added what was missing in the first gen.

Hopefully the rumor about the camera was true but I doubt it.
  • WarlockWarlock Member Posts: 66
    I actually got up at 8:22, tossed open my MacBook Pro and ordered mine. I can't frakkin' wait for that thing.

(oh, I forgot to mention that I go to bed around 4 a.m. everynight hence the seemingly late wake up. lol)
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    So why wouldn't a gs game made to fit the higher res not work on ipad if all iPhone apps will work on ipad. I say just make the game and submit it. I think I'll put my ne game in the format. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gumball-copter-lite/id361294621?mt=8
    I'm honestly a little baffled by the excitement for the iPad. It's just a bigger iPod touch, with a tad more functionality... but just a tad.

I don't think demand will be enough to make gaming profitable for game designers in the near future. This is aimed at the ebook market, and I don't think it will be a big draw for gamers. People want and need mobile phones, not many will want to deal with two devices, especially when the second won't fit in your pocket. They will sell, but not like the iPhone.

...Just my opinion.
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    I will get one, likely a 2nd gen+, just to leave on the coffee table. Easier to use than any TV oriented browser (game system, PC connected to TV, etc.).

I think a cool app for it would be Bluetooth connection to control your TV/game devices. I wish they would have put an IR blaster in the top of the thing. Then it could be your super remote too.
    It will be interesting to see. I hope I am wrong, as you are right about the immediate competition.
  • QuinnZoneStudiosQuinnZoneStudios Member Posts: 452
    Yeah what tshirtbooth said.
    This is a laptop killer and a hell of a lot sexier. Sure you can't do video editing/Photoshop etc on it but most people just want a good way to connect with the world when traveling, in their living room or even out in the garden. It's destined to become the best portable gaming device ever! My understanding is the faster processing speed will gain us so much regarding our Gamesalad games. I'll be able to add back my parallax background scrolling I'll bet!
    Bring it on.....
    A laptop killer? Hmmm. I have serious doubts about that. It's just not a computer. Until it can run applications like Photoshop and every other program people use for production in their jobs, l don't see laptops going anywhere. I'm not saying it won't be popular, it sure has a hell of a lot of buzz.

As for performance, it may have a faster processor, but remember that it will be processing more than 4x the pixels we're dealing with on the iPhone.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I agree with Tshirt, now's the time to start pumping out iPad games, otherwise you may miss the window of time for a golden opportunity to sell tons more units

As for the iPad being a laptop killer, I don't think so. I think it's a nice alternative to use, but it will not replace a laptop by any means :) Although I did order the keyboard to hook up to the iPad so I can use it while traveling :)
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Will be there an appstore for iPad? Or how Apple wants to manage this?

I don't think that 1024x768 games will run smooth on an iphone, so it must be separated somehow...

---

To be honest, for me it is a riddle, what the sense of an iPad would be.

It is too big for your pocket and too small for being a laptop like device.

You need a backpack to carry it, but you can't do jack with it...

---

EDIT: Ok I have read the posts and now I know a bit more, but I still don't understand the hype.