Does anyone have a cheat-sheet listing Art/Music/SFX design specifications for iPhone & iPad?

CulturePlayCulturePlay Member, PRO Posts: 113
I'd like to design a one page hand-out (cheat-sheat of sorts) that lists the design specifications for iPhone/iPad 1 2 3/Android and other devices that GameSalad publishes to. It's getting confusing! Does someone have a form like this that already exists?
By design specifications I mean: dpi (resolution), art background dimensions X * Y, music file type, & SFX file type.

1. iPhone .png must be 72 dpi and 320 x 480
2. Background Music? MP4? MP3?
3. Sound Effects?

thanks!

CulturePlay

Best Answer

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasPosts: 2,870
    Accepted Answer
    iPhone dimensions - 480 x 320 - for high rez it's 960 X 640 (72 ppi)

iPad dimensions - 1024 X 768 - for high rez it's 2048 X 1536 (72ppi)

Music files - .m4a (GameSalad can take all sorts of files, mp3, .wav, .aiff, etc. but this is the native one)

Sound files - .ogg (GameSalad can take all sorts of files, mp3, .wav, .aiff, etc. but this is the native one)

You can publish to iPhone, iPad, HTML5, Mac Desktop, and with the Pro version of GameSalad - Android, Kindle Fire, B&N Nook.

Can't help you with Android. Too many different sized phones for me to keep track of.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Answers

• CulturePlayCulturePlay Member, PRO Posts: 113
    edited June 2012
    Ok I'm trying to work with high rez image in my iphone game, but when I bring in a 960 x 640 image it is larger than the scene size (480 x 320). Can I resize the image to 480 x 320 in the attributes panel with out losing it's resolution? Is this the correct process?
  • jckmcgrawjckmcgraw Member Posts: 647
    I believe so. GS actually automatically does that for me (I have resolution independance on).

Jack
  • andrewm2211andrewm2211 Member Posts: 341
    yeah, bring in your 960x640 art in there, check resolution independance, and don't worry about it. It will just work for both devices.

@slickzero , it's dpi, dots per inch ;)
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    edited June 2012
    DPI is often incorrectly used instead of PPI. PPI is used in digital work, and DPI is used for print work. Photoshop shows it as DPI for whatever reason, but they know better.
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    edited June 2012
    @Cultureplay, don't resize your 960x640 images if you want high res. Just drag it directly onto your 480x320 background actor. Leave resolution independence on, and GS will resize it automatically (down to 480x320) when publishing for non-retina devices.
  • SriniSrini Member Posts: 11
    Hi

I'm having the same issue, my game scene for iPad dimensions is 2048 X 1536 (72ppi), but when i add it to the screen half of the image is going beyond the borders, is there a solution to view in the preview, i used resolution independence on.

Any details regarding this would be more helpful.

Thanks