GarageBand --> GameSalad Music Volume

KaiWenKaiWen Member, PRO Posts: 93

I am working with my music now and I have completed my song that I wrote for my game, but the volume is not as loud as yours when I import my music track.

I'm using GarageBand just as a test to write my music. I have a full production studio with Reason 6, Cubase 5, some guitars and two keyboards. That being said, I know a little something about audio. I wanted to keep all my development on my MacBook, even the music. I did break down an install Reason 6 on my MacBook all my music was created using GarageBand.

I've exported out my song a few different times now using different parameters in GarageBand, but when I import the music I get the follow issue:

I've exported my song out about a dozen time now at the highest quality.
a. mp3
b. m4a
c. aif

I even ramped up the volume in GarageBand to 6.0dB and the volume of my songs when imported into GS sound the same. I am wondering if it is a GarageBand issue, a GameSalad issue or a me issue.

Can you offer any advise? I'm thinking about taking the audio from my MacBook over to my Lenovo ThinkPad music production laptop and play with the audio in SoundForge. The funny thing is, is that the song sounds good and loud during play back in GarageBand.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kai

Best Answer

Answers

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    In garageband go to preferences-->advanced then check to make sure that auto normalize is on.
  • KaiWenKaiWen Member, PRO Posts: 93
    @scitunes Normalize is checked and Audio Resolution is Best.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    also add it to iTunes,
    Right Click Song,
    Go to Get Info,
    Click Options,
    Move Volume Adjustment to The Right
    Okay this is crazy. I exported the song out to iTunes. I play the song and the volume is low, just like the volume in GameSalad. What in the world is going on???
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Is your recording level turned up?

Over on the right side in Garageband, at the bottom of the program window, click the middle button. It's a blue circle with the letter "i" in it. Just above the buttons will be some drop menu options for "Input Source" and one for "Monitor" and a slider for "Recording Level" Make sure that "Recording Level" is turned up to at least 50% if not more. I usually hover around 70%

There is a check box for "Automatic Level Control" and you may try messing around with checking that option. I don't use that option personally, but if it works for you, then that's all the better.
    Normaliziing!!!! Dang it was clamping down on my song. It sounded like my song was being compressed like crazy. Turned off Normaliziing and boom, my music levels are now fine. Would have never had this issue if I was using another one of my music production DAWs or sound editing program like Sound Forge.
    Hey @SlickZero no matter what you do in GameSalad with normalizing turned on your mixed is going to be affected some way. Mine was being compressed like crazy!!
    @scitunes you were close my friend. :)>-
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I use "Auto Normalize" in Garageband, because it exports at full loudness. If the volume is too low, it's supposed to fix it so it's not so quiet. But that's really strange it's having the opposite effect for you.
    I agree @SlickZero. Thats why it never occurred to turn it off until I read information on the following link:
    http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/FAQPages/ExportsTooQuiet.html

I turned it off and my track sounds just how I want it in my game now. Now I know what to do if I use GarageBand in the future to create music for my game. Next time I might have to use my other computer (Windows 7) which I do all my music production on with all my audio tool.
    Now I have to create the sound effects for my game.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    I'd still try to find that peak in your music and normalize that part.