Issue with General Attribute system

GeikamirGeikamir Member Posts: 21
edited June 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
In Part 4 of the Youtube video () about half way through he is assigning an constraint attribute to be used to two different actors.

I can't seem to get this to work for the life of me. The attribute option seems to be connected to the actors individually instead of universally like in the video. So whenever I set up the 'Real' attribute to 160, it does not show up in the 'Game' section for me to choose. Therefore I can never get my platform to move. I have created an attribute in every single actor to try and get this to work, but the option in that area never shows up for me to pick it for that 'constrained attribute'.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• lanmindlanmind Member Posts: 29
    The 'real' attribute that you are talking about needs to be created in the GAME attributes so all actors can access it.

All game attributes can be accessed by all of the game, scenes and actors.
  • GeikamirGeikamir Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2012
    Sweet! Thanks. With your help and some further tinkering I have got past that. Very helpful community. Thanks again.

Also, what is the difference between "Instance" and "Prototype"? Just now I make the changes to prototype and it didn't work, but when I made them to instance they did.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    If you unlock the code area of an actor on a scene it breaks the link to the prototype of it in the actors palette. It's always best if possible to edit the code in the prototype and not break the link. This is important if you use the actor across multiple scenes. Then when you adjust the code in the prototype it will update the copies of that actor across all scenes that were not unlocked. If you unlock then you have to go and change the code individually in each unlocked version.
    @FryingBacon:
    So basically the prototype area affects the actors across all scenes, while instance only affects the current scene I am editing?

Is there any reason why I couldn't control the platform when I made the changes to the prototype area, but could when I made them to the instance area?
    edited June 2012
    Yes when you unlocked the actor in the scene you broke the link to the prototype. Read and understand what I wrote. When you unlock an actor on the scene it becomes and instance actor. If you leave it locked it stays a prototype actor linked to the original in the actors palette.
    Ah, I see what you mean now. I wasn't aware at first that I had 'broken the link' that you were mentioning already.
    When you clicked on the dark screen with the lock you broke the link. That's what that lock means.
    edited June 2012
    Ah, that makes perfect sense. That helps a lot. Thank you!

@FryingBaconStudios

Quick question about another issue/function of the new interface that seems to work differently compared to the old version. When I'm trying to determine the amount of 'lives' the player has, I am not able to input the lives function that I have created into the "Replicate X times" field. It will only allow me to put in an actual number and not an attribute.

This is something that is being covered near the middle to end of video number 8:

You need to click on the e next to that area where you enter the number this bring up the expression editor like he does.
    edited June 2012
    @FryingBaconStudios

In the Windows version there is no 'E' icon. Incorporating expressions is done differently. It uses the drag and drop operation instead. And in this case, that action doesn't work. The box has an up-and-down arrow or I can input my own number. Sadly, in only accepts actual numbers and won't accept Behaviors of any kind (like "Persistent" in this case).

Because of some of these key design changes, it makes following the tutorial much trickier than normal. I have to make some particular deductions which, as you can tell, is proving a difficult task for me in some situations as the total noob that I am.

Thanks for all your help so far.
    Yes I mention this to the GS team about not changing how expressions work in the new interface. I was told they have changed it back.
    @FryingBaconStudios

Oh? It hasn't pushed out for me. Maybe I have to re-download the program for these changes to take place?

Typically when the game is updated, do the changes happen in an over-the-air style update or do you have to re-download it manually from somewhere?
    No they told me they have a more updated version but it is still in testing. Remember the current windows version is more an Alpha version than Beta. GS is currently building their major update of UI redesign and new engine in parallel to their current version. I wouldn't count on the windows version being very advanced for months as I said it is an Alpha version and is right now mainly a test vehicle and not something I would rely on for publishing games.
    What you can do though is make three separate actors place them at the bottom like he does and in each put this rule and adjust for each one.

When attribute lives < 3

Change attribute self.color.alpha to 0

Then second one less than 2

First one less than 1
    edited June 2012
    @Frying Bacon Studios

Awesome! That works perfectly. Thanks for all the help. Now I can continue that tutorial.

It's neat little tricks like that to overcome problems that I look forward to figuring out as I learn this program.
    edited June 2012
    There are always many was to accomplish something with code. As you learn remember it's logic and the computer does what you tell it to do..no more or no less. Keep studying and watching videos as each video will teach you about logic and programing..forget the topic of the video such as make a health bar and such as basically it's teaching you how to manipulate something using code. From each video you will learn basic tricks and such and then you will be able to combine techniques on your own. Many people jump right into a big project without preparing and it leads to lots of wasted work..you're doing this right and it will take months before you really get a handle on it but after you will be ready to make a solid game without lots of rework. Great Job and good luck!
    @FryingBaconStudios

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement! I really appreciate it, for real.
  • lanmindlanmind Member Posts: 29
    @Geikamar & @FryingBaconStudios Good discussions the expression editor in the Windows version has been bugging me :/

Glad to hear verify the differences between the two expression editors and that changes are planned