Own banner behind iAds activating instead

ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
edited June 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
I know iAds don't always show, hence have made my own 320x50 banner sitting behind where iAd would be, to show when ads aren't available. My banners have an openURL behaviour to my other apps on click.

Problem is on adhoc testing, clicking on the normal iAd banner (which displays the words 'test advertisement') only takes me to my own openURL behaviour (from my banner sitting beneath). I would've thought the iAd on top would activate. Is this because the app is not live? Can anyone with live iAds confirm, and should any real ads show on adhoc testing?

Thanks in advance

Best Answers

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,271
    Accepted Answer
    The ads will show when it's live. You should only be seeing a test ad on an adhoc.
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface Posts: 491
    edited July 2012 Accepted Answer
    @getawayapps

Just an update to clarify for future users searching this, I can confirm that live ads will trigger instead of the openURL behaviour on your own banner underneath. Note that on adhoc testing, your openURL behaviour will trigger rather than the test ad

Answers

• ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    Thanks for the info. Any experience with using your own banner underneath? Will the live ad activate instead of my banner?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    I've never done it, but I would assume only the iad would activate...
    Thanks Braydon, guess there's no way to know for sure unless I test it live. If anyone else can confirm I'd be grateful.

Cheers
    Why not just put your ad somewhere else?
    edited June 2012
    You mean my own banner ad? I only wanted it there in case iAds don't show, as I've read from previous threads, thought I'd make use of the space anyway. Don't want to overburden the user with too many ads, hence why I'm just showing it beneath the iAd ;))

Since we're on the topic, do you bother spawning and destroying iAd actor every 10-15 secs? Read in an old thread it increases fill rate, though not sure if that's the case still.
    edited June 2012
    I've sent in an update to destroy every 30 seconds, as I read it takes 30 seconds or so to get 1 impression. It should be approved Monday or so.

I have a game with iAds, and they always show up. I've never seen them gone while I have a connection to the internet...But in some countries, iAds don't show up, so it might be worth putting that ad in somewhere.
    edited June 2012
    hmm interesting. Might have to update my destroy behaviour to longer in that case. Cheers for the info. Are you based in the US though? I don't think iAds show up in certain countries, or have lower fill rate.
    Yes, I'm here in the States..

Yeah, some countries don't show iAds, so it might be worth putting your ad in somewhere.
    edited June 2012
    Yea, I'd just rather not have to test it live, and realise all the iAds point back to my openURL link :P
    Oh well, guess I could just fix it in a quick update
  • getawayappsgetawayapps Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2012
    @Chobbiface I am having the same problem. Its not the test ad, or iAd at all.

What's happening is if you create a "Buy full version" ad that links to your own app, then tell iAd to launch, your ad will display until iAd loads. The problem is that the game is taking the Touch Pressed action on your ad over the iAd. Any ideas? GS team?
    @getawayapps,

Yep, I've submitted my app with the set up above in the hope 'live' ads will trigger instead. I'll confirm if/once my app is approved.