Video Playback on GS App using browser !

cheesemichaelcheesemichael Member, PRO Posts: 1
Hi, just managed to link my GS app to an external video through the use of the URL link feature by tweaking the XML files.. It played my MP4 pretty well. But how to make this possible throught the GS Creator itself ?

ANybody has any answers ?

Comments

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    Hey @cheesemichael can you please explain in detail how you did this. I really want to be able to play video in GS!
  • EbreezeEbreeze Member, PRO Posts: 481
    do tell..do tell :-B
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    I don't think you can modify the creator like that. Do you mean you embedded a video into your game or have a link to a video that redirects you?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's a TOS violation.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2012
    Hi, just managed to link my GS app to an external video through the use of the URL link feature by tweaking the XML files.. It played my MP4 pretty well. But how to make this possible throught the GS Creator itself ?

ANybody has any answers ?
    The file would have to be embedded with the app. That's how The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook works. It's essentially just some HTML files, and a webview displays it.

Even if you placed your video in the project folder, and somehow figured out the right path to those files, I'm not sure that the server would accept those files.

Unfortunately, GameSalad has limited the functionality of the OpenURL behavior. With just some minor improvements, I could have actually made The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook with GameSalad!

I'm surprised that OpenURL doesn't use expressions.

Additionally, why would editing the XML files be a violation of the terms of service? Isn't that how some of the Deep Blue Apps work?

Maybe GameSalad could clarify this issue.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Just to be clear yes. Editing the XML files is considered a TOS violation. It falls into the reverse engineering section if I remember right.

I have actually asked the DBA question myself and never really got a straight answer. It seems they are allowing them to fall into a grey area. though I do know for a fact that if support can tell XML files have been altered they will likely tell you they can offer you no support for your issue.

I would image DBA presented a case and were given a green light for their tools. I don't know if the No support for altering XML covers DBA tools as well. So….

Just something to keep in mind when you go altering stuff in the project file.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2012
    Just to be clear yes. Editing the XML files is considered a TOS violation. It falls into the reverse engineering section if I remember right.
    I think the clarification should be from a post highlighted in yellow.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I don't see what's so nefarious. How is manually changing the OpenURL data considered reverse-engineering?

As for Deep Blue Apps, GameSalad obviously wouldn't OK a GameSalad-to-Corona conversion app. That seems to suggest where the line is drawn. Editing the XML files to assist in GameSalad development... seems to be OK with GameSalad. Using XML data to work with other game development platforms... not OK.

If that's not the situation, GameSalad should clarify that.

Additionally, why doesn't GameSalad open up the OpenURL behavior? It could be more powerful with expressions... and even more powerful if HTML files could be stored locally.

And one more thing... why is editing OpenURL data through XML even necessary? I don't have access to OpenURL right now. (I'm planning to renew my subscription, but I'm busy with other projects right now.) But from the way I remembered things worked, why couldn't a simple web address be used? Does GameSalad reject URLs that end in .mp4?

But if GameSalad is rejecting URLs ending in MP4, couldn't an Apache Redirect / Mod Rewrite get the job done? The action would be accomplished server-side, so maybe that's OK.
    edited June 2012
    Where are you @cheesemichael? Would love a description if you do not mind?
  • cheesemichaelcheesemichael Member, PRO Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Hi, was travelling. To be honest, it did take a bit or manual modification of the XML. and i doubt the GS server will accept it. i got the openURL to point to a video file that is local. it simply opened the video player. But of cos, this means i had to run it on a jailbreak device But it only goes to show that GS can enable this very easily
    Can't go near that solution obviously - yep it does show it is not that hard for them to implement.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    If you video is in the cloud somewhere then GS already plays it happily with a pretty smooth ux on the embedded browser no XML juggling required :).