selling games for the Web and desktop...

CCJCCJ Member Posts: 10
edited November -1 in Introductions
Now that GS can deploy to both the Web and the mac desktop, I was wondering if it would be possible for us to actually sell applications for the Web/desktop. I can see at first glance that this notion violates the EULA (am I wrong about this, or has anyone heard of upcoming changes in policy?), but if we pay for a gamesalad iphone dev standard membership might that restriction be lifted? After all, being a member of the GS iphone dev group allows us to sell iphone apps, so could it grant us license to sell games for the desktop and Web as well? Please tell me your thoughts as I'm not entirely clear yet on what is and isn't acceptable use of GameSalad.
Thank you,
Jeff

Comments

• synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    You would need the GS web viewer Safari plug-in to run a game anyway on a website...and that plug-in isn't available to anyone but gamesalad.com.

To my knowledge,
    GS is a software designed exclusively to build iPhone/iPod games and uses XCode to run the game...which is a hybrid code language of Objective C++ developed for Apple's mobile devices. There are other software kits out there already for web game development. GameMaker comes to mind as well as Yugma in the cheapie realm. Or you can do it like the pros and use Flash.

I would say to not expect the licensing or the core business model of Gendai (maker of GameSalad) to change on this matter any time soon if at all.
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    ... im already selling one of my games here: http://appbodega.com/
    doesnt sell well though (yet) only one copy sold i 5 days :(
    but the good thing is you get to keep all the money.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    >> I can see at first glance that
    >> this notion violates the EULA
    >> (am I wrong about this, or
    >> has anyone heard of upcoming
    >> changes in policy?)

I don't remember seeing that in the EULA.
    Where does it state that you can't sell your desktop games?
    ah, i cant sell my games?
    GS answer, if i cant ill take them off the online store.
  • CCJCCJ Member Posts: 10
    @Photics: "Gendai Games grants to you a non-exclusive, limited license to use the Software solely to view, play and/or create games for non-commercial purposes." Doesn't that suggest that we can't use GS for commercial purposes except with the iphone ["Once your game has passed Apple's approval system, your game is now on the App Store. Congratulations! You keep 100% of the royalties for your games."] ?
    @Synthesis: what are you talking about? The latest version of GS can deploy to the web, Mac desktop, and the iphone/ipod touch [if you join the membership program]. Right on the home page under 'What is GameSalad-- "Publish your games quickly and easy to the iPhone, iPod Touch, Mac Desktop, and the Web."
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I think it might be a mistake or worded incorrectly. I'm thinking that it means you cannot use the software for commercial purposes... like renting it out the software for other people to use.

Although, this should probably be clarified by Gendai Games.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    giacomopoppi which game are you selling on bodega? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I do think we are allowed to sell Macintosh desktop games as well as iPhone games.
  • bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
    Is there any kind of copy protection available for desktop games made with GS? The fact that you can make desktop games is so cool.
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    My bad...I guess I didn't look it the web or desktop publishing that close. My response...what's the point...the $$$ is in publishing to the iphone/ipad...not desktop or web.
    @gregr209 im selling the game "Separation!" on bodega.... has only sold once though.... not really worth it.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    @giacomopoppi do you think it is the price? Also not a lot of people know about Bodega. Don't give up!!!! Hey 1 sold is 1 more sale then you had the day before :-)
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    I tried bodega but I cant charge my game, because I dont know how. Is it possible to use paypal for downloads?
  • CCJCCJ Member Posts: 10
    Hey all,
    I sent this question to Gendai directly and received the following reply:

"Games created with GameSalad can be sold if you wish. If there is a section of our EULA
    that seems to prohibit sales of Desktop Applications, it is unintentional. Most language related to non-commercial use in our EULA is meant to prevent people from commercializing other people's games.

Tan Tran
    GameSalad.com Team
    gendai games inc."

Issue happily resolved!
  • bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
    any way to "protect" a game sold for desktop?