how to add text to game

kangaroogamingkangaroogaming Member Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
hi all very new to gs and boareder line computer illeteriate how can i add text box to the game screen and then make them buttons?? this is for the winndows version
thanks all i advance!!!

Best Answer

• DarkUndeadSpawnDarkUndeadSpawn Posts: 64
    Accepted Answer
    hi all very new to gs and boareder line computer illeteriate how can i add text box to the game screen and then make them buttons?? this is for the winndows version
    thanks all i advance!!!
    Simple

Just make a actor go to actor1 prototype add a display text which is in behaviors and go to persistant.

then drag display text to your actor.

Then add a new rule
    go to conditions your new so it will be located in the behaviors section.

Add a Touch button make sure its touch.pressed

then go down..
    On what would you like it to do
    it shall either be change scene or spawn actor..
    In the actions section.

Whatever you choose.

I hope this helps? ;)

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Answers

• kangaroogamingkangaroogaming Member Posts: 8
    thanks all i advance!!!
    Simple

Just make a actor go to actor1 prototype add a display text which is in behaviors and go to persistant.

then drag display text to your actor.

Then add a new rule
    go to conditions your new so it will be located in the behaviors section.

Add a Touch button make sure its touch.pressed

then go down..
    On what would you like it to do
    it shall either be change scene or spawn actor..
    In the actions section.

Whatever you choose.

I hope this helps? ;)

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Ur info has certanly helped me get to the next stage however when i drag it into the actor on the screen i cant see anything what would u suggest doing?
  • DarkUndeadSpawnDarkUndeadSpawn Member Posts: 64
    Ur info has certanly helped me get to the next stage however when i drag it into the actor on the screen i cant see anything what would u suggest doing?
    Well Perhaps on screen is probly your answer is why you cannot see any options.

Well here's an idea. How bout selecting your actor in the actors tab and add the display text there.

Make sure it doesn't say lock if so just click it and add the display text inside there it should be on the right bottom side.

Then add display text..

Then go to the plus sign add a rule.

Go to conditions add touch.pressed
    (It should already be selected)

Go to the bottom where it should say do. Click that make sure it is selected and the tab is out?

Then drag in a action and drag changescene.

I hope that helps you.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Well here's an idea. How bout selecting your actor in the actors tab and add the display text there.

Make sure it doesn't say lock if so just click it and add the display text inside there it should be on the right bottom side.

Then add display text..

Go to the bottom where it should say do. Click that make sure it is selected and the tab is out?

I hope that helps you.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
    no it dosent help me im really considering this is not for me and i dont give up easy forget the rulles comands and what have u how do iu get a simple text ie hello world as it comes up to the freaking screen anyonme please tell me i have dragged it to actors box draged it to the screen and still i c no friggin text amm i wasting my time????? could this be the crap that breaks me into giving up before i even get started???? help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then add display text..

I hope that helps you.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
    no it dosent help me im really considering this is not for me and i dont give up easy forget the rulles comands and what have u how do iu get a simple text ie hello world as it comes up to the freaking screen anyonme please tell me i have dragged it to actors box draged it to the screen and still i c no friggin text amm i wasting my time????? could this be the crap that breaks me into giving up before i even get started???? help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok all you have to do is when your done dragging the actor into the scene it will only showup in preview.. so just hit the preview button and your done..

Hope it helps

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Then add display text..

I hope that helps you.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
    Ok all you have to do is when your done dragging the actor into the scene it will only showup in preview.. so just hit the preview button and your done..

Hope it helps

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
    u r a freakin legend!!!!! i finall have text but the text goes behind the square actor thing iv tried going to back front and what not how do i gety the text show up??

Then add display text..

I hope that helps you.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Hope it helps

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
    u r a freakin legend!!!!! i finall have text but the text goes behind the square actor thing iv tried going to back front and what not how do i gety the text show up??
    Well i wouldn't say im a legend but as of now i am also working on a game which im new to this program also..

But i also got most of the basics down..

I sure do move to my advanced stage pretty fast..

But watch this video it shall help you to learn how to mess around with the fonts/wrap?

Pretty much all you need..

Until Next Time
    Thankyou and have a nice day.

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn

Sorry For the long reply about your answer. Well if you would like to make the text inside..

All you need to do is go to display text.. And then Check off
    Wrap text inside actor
    Then next if you would like to go into the properties Instance add a new attribute..
    Name it Score (Or anything you would like?) add a value like 1

If you would like to make the background disapear such as the actor background just go in the
    properties then scroll down to color open the tab go to alpha and set that to 0.
    Hope that helps you!!

Sincerly,
    DarkUndeadSpawn
  • alCosecantalCosecant Member Posts: 1

Good question!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@alCosecant said:
    Good question!

Although I don't go into making buttons, there's a detailed explanation of the Display Text behaviour here:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/81238/an-illustrated-guide-to-the-display-text-behaviour

• sariflucasarifluca Member Posts: 3

guys seriously, you just turn down the opacity of the actor to 0 (can be done in color of it) and it will just display text. I dont even reccommend using gamesalads texts, find a font genrator and insert it a a legit actor