Windows Creator UI Update **PREVIEW**

LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
edited July 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hey guys!

We've been working closely with @Coopaloops and the UX team to make sure that everyone's feedback and suggestions have been heard about our recent Windows Creator Beta release.

In light of everyone's great response and feedback, we wanted to give an update and showcase what work has been going on behind the scenes with this project.

Items discussed include:
- Library Redesign
- Attributes Inspector Redesign
- Expression Editor
- AND MUCH MORE! :)

Just as a friendly reminder- many of these items are currently still in development and we do not have firm dates available to share regarding their release.

ENJOY and please leave us your comments!

Comments

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    This looks great! Oh man I cannot wait for this! Then add the Lua-free engine, new collision shapes (PLEASE!), and snapping and I will be a happy camper!

Oh a zoom in and out on stage would be nice too! ;)

I know, I know. We're never satisfied! :D
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    I absolutely love how the new UI is coming along in Windows Creator. Just a quick question though. When you all launch the update to Windows Creator, will the Mac Creator update be close to that, or farther off? I'm not looking for exact dates or anything, just whether we can expect the update to the Mac Creator UI close to the update for Windows.

Can't wait to see the awesome new features! Keep up the good work GameSalad.

- Alex
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Boom. looking good guys.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Hot Dog. Looks Like some major improvements. Small Screen guys are gonna love this. Great works guys!!!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Awesome! Much better! Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    Looks wonderful guys! Great job. I can totally see gamesalad becoming the "Unity" of 2D games. The only thing missing is Windows exe publishing and perhaps a scripting api?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited July 2012
    Wow, the Windows version is looking great.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    That is just AWESOME. Can't wait for all this + 0.9.93 features in the next release! :)
  • jckmcgrawjckmcgraw Member Posts: 647
    Looks wonderful guys! Great job. I can totally see gamesalad becoming the "Unity" of 2D games. The only thing missing is Windows exe publishing and perhaps a scripting api?
    @danlbryant

Still needs some major imorovements to become that, but I suppose I would sort of agree with you there.

Jack
  • ZoytZoyt Member Posts: 374
    This is great! Thanks!
  • ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    Looks terrific and the promise of multi select is a delight.

My feeling is that the Stage panel and the backstage panel need swapping.or the library needs to be swapped with the attributes. I don't like working in a diagonal manner.
    an we have the stage in it's own Window? then the backstage can be full screen depth.

Can't wait to be able to have 2 actor tabs available. Much easier to test/change the interaction between 2 objects.

Cheers
    Valan
  • CoopaloopsCoopaloops Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 12
    @tshirtbooth - Yes indeed, we've got auto-resizing actors in there. :)
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Looking forward to getting some of these things migrating over to the mac creator.
    I weep for the day when I can change an actors X and Y without going to it's properties.

;)
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    I really like it. But when I could open my project created on mac in windows version?
  • PuzzlePlatformerManPuzzlePlatformerMan Member Posts: 23
    W
  • mighty_poohmighty_pooh Member Posts: 20
    Yeah like imGua i realy need the possibility to open my projects cross platform.
    I like to relaxe edit on my laptop with windows, and do all the serius picture editing on my iMac. When i do pictures i would like to add them to the project straight away.
    I really like it. But when I could open my project created on mac in windows version?
    Yeah like imGua i realy need the possibility to open my projects cross platform.
    I like to relaxe edit on my laptop with windows, and do all the serius picture editing on my iMac. When i do pictures i would like to add them to the project straight away.
    Its coming eventually guys. We'll just have to wait till its ready to come out of the oven.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited July 2012
    Looks great much more efficient work flow! Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the Mac version! Oh and one more comment from the peanut gallery, can you guys please stop bitching man that is getting old.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    Great job! Does it have the nasty slowdown-with-use bug that has persisted in the Mac version of the Creator since forever?
  • FloridaGamesFloridaGames Member Posts: 328
    edited August 2012
    Why does windows get such a nice UI, man I'd kill for that x,y actor position display at the top right corner. Im so jelly.
    Can i make a game on a pc and then transfer the file to my mac via flashdrive/dropbox and then publish it?
    Why does windows get such a nice UI, man I'd kill for that x,y actor position display at the top right corner. Im so jelly.
    Can i make a game on a pc and then transfer the file to my mac via flashdrive/dropbox and then publish it?
    @FloridaGames
    Yes you can go from windows to Mac. Just not the other way around yet.

As previously Stated numerous times the Windows UI is a test bed for a new layout. Once its solid and everyones happy it is planned to be applied to a Mac Creator Release.
    Kinda crappy that everyone has invested so much time and energy into the Mac version of all their games and GS leaves them hanging while they focus on making the Windows version better before the Mac version. I personally think it's a step in the wrong direction. They should be making the Mac version better, then porting it to windows.
  • ZoytZoyt Member Posts: 374
    Just... need... tabs...
    and maybe a tile editor.
  • Basically_DannyBasically_Danny Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Yes!!!! I have Been waiting so Long!!!
    @ORBZ I have to disagree with you. The guys working out the UI are not the ones developing the new features for our games. So nothing is being taken away from the Mac Creator. And I for one would much rather my Mac UI that I am comfortable with and works how I expect it not be screwed with while they test out other layout options. So no I think its absolutely the right thing to do to play with the UI on windows and get it right before screwing with a working UI for those of us who have invested years with GameSalad.

Im glad to see you back around the forums my friend. You've done a lot of great stuff in the past for the community but these days it seems like you are just here to stir the pot. What gives?
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    2 GS Team, can you give an option to disable click sounds in creator in the next version?
  • iCreationZiCreationZ Member Posts: 158
    Just reading through this, and one thought came to mind.

"Oops!"

Are we not supposed to be able to very easily switch projects from Mac to Windows and back again?"

Everyone says that it's not possible, but I've not had any such problem, and I'm making huge progress by switching between the two platforms to build on Windows, test on Mac, and then transfer back to Windows to work further...
    @frostbyte there are ways people have been able to do that. It's just not something that works for everyone.
    edited August 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter

Good point, if you have the resources to have two teams working like that then that makes sense.

@tenrdrmer

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but after 2 years I'm kinda frustrated that I still have to restart GS every hour or so because it's eating up 100% of my CPU and brings GS to a crawl. Oh, and that if you copy an actor with custom attributes, then go into one of the copied actors and delete one of those custom attributes it also deletes the custom attribute in the original source actor Thus, rendering any rules that depended on that attribute broken. Beautifully invisible bug-tastic! (NOTE: I just tried to recreate this bug and I couldn't, it must be a legacy bug with my project file since it's gone through v0.8 -> current versions of GS, I do know that it does seem to happen sometimes when I copy old actors that were made a long time ago, ohwel, looks like it doesn't happen in new projects! Now if only i could figure out why it still happens in some of my old projects...)

Additional bug: Deleting a group of images sometimes deletes the wrong image from the project or doesn't give visual feedback that the image was deleted until you exit and reload the project.

Additional bug: when you click File > Revert Project, tables are not reloaded, you need to close the project and re-open it for tables to revert to the project's saved state. This is a problem because of the bug where GS uses 100% of cpu it's often useful to have multiple instances of GS running, one for editing, another for previewing. The "revert" menu option is helpful in those situations because it allows us to quickly refresh the "viewer" project.

Overall I like GS but when I read about a whole new Windows version and they still have glaringly obvious bugs in the Mac version it makes me a bit frustrated and I feel like they are ignoring the suffering of us Mac users.

Kudos to you guys for moving forward, I just wish that the Mac version was out of beta and stable before you started up with a whole new design on the windows version. It feels, to me, like you are diluting your efforts and abandoning the Mac users.

Overall, good product, but it drives me up the wall sometimes with the little gotchyas :)
  • ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    I don't mind GameSalad developing a Windows version and using the Mac version to make the experience better.

The only thing that still surprises me is that after 30 years of professional design software GameSalad has not identified and implemented basic user features within the mac version. Look at the response to showing the object coordinates.

While doing the Windows version please look at layout software like In Design, Quark Express, Photoshop or Pixelmator. Info bars, layout guides, Find/Replace, grids, grouping or Zoom/Map.

Not the big features but the little info bits or guides that have been in there forever, or the last decade, to help and assist a designer.

We can get the job done with GameSalad now but we know it could be more comfortable.