noobQ - Is "self.Length of Time Minus 1" attribute in Windows free D/L?

auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
edited July 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Hi,

I'm a noob^2 here, new to GS and game creation, and I'm using the free D/L Windows UI.

I want to have my actor rotate back and forth through maybe 60 degrees. And I found an example game online that produces this result using a rule with an attribute that reads, in part, "if (self.Length of Time Minus 1) < (self.time)%2". I can load this example and see that it performs an operation close to what I want to do.

Out of the gate though, in the 'Actor|Attribute|time' selection for the instance of the actor, I do not have the "Length of Time" choice.

Should I have this choice? If so, where do I look?
Can I import the rule block into my project from the sample project? If so , how?

TIA for your help.

Answers

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    That's an attribute you have to create I the actor. It needs to be an integer type attribute. And you can name it what ever you want
  • auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
    Thanks tenrdrmr, that got me further along. My copy still is not behaving like the example. One difference I see is that in the attributes I create, there is a field that requires a value (default 0). In the example, I do not see this corresponding field.

Can anyone point me to information that covers this?
  • auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
    I just discovered accepting the answer or not. I'll do better.

I used Ace's kind offering as a basis for my timerless rotation

http://www.mynameisace.com/TimerlessRotation.gameproj.zip

But I still cannot replicate the rules in my Windows GS. I have attempted all the attributes at this point, and integer several times, but they all leave my actor spinning unchecked. One difference I do see is that in Ace's project the attributes do not have corresponding value fields - while all my attributes do.

Then again, the relevant difference may yet be invisible to me.