Can actors be 'directional'?

auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
edited August 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Can I apply rules directionally between actors? Think of popping a balloon with a pin: The pin has a head and a point, if my balloon collides with the head, it would bounce, but if it collides with the point it would pop.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    edited August 2012
    Offhand I'd suggest testing if the pin's rotation matches the direction of the pin from the balloon.

Make sure the image of the pin starts with the pointy end facing the "0" direction - directly to the right like this: ---->

Then you can do whatever pin movement you want.

Test if the pin's rotation is within 180 degrees of the angle between the balloon and the pin, and if the pin is overlapping the balloon. That means the pointy end is facing toward the balloon and its time to pop.
  • auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
    I've been playing around with your suggestion, but I've not gotten anywhere. Is there anyplace I can see examples of how to determine the instantaneous relative positions of actors? Or angles?

Thanks.
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Member, PRO Posts: 98
    well if the pin doesn't rotate during the game you could spawn an invisible actor that on the part of the pin that is sharp and have it set so if the balloon collides with that it pops.
  • auricluxauriclux Member Posts: 16
    I like the invisible actor, but my pin moves around, though it doesn't rotate. How do I glue them together?