0.8.4 Update Information

2»

Comments

• ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    I agree on the "Known Issues" request. I would love to see a list of issues being worked on and the priorities they are given by the devs.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I would 3rd that request.
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    I'm so looking forward to publishing for the iPad now :D
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    Yeah, "known issues" would alleviate a lot of re-posts in the forums and also allow people to know the gotchas ahead of time during development (at least for the known ones).
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Agree with the known issues. It's really needed.
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    I'm sure some common issues log would help development efforts and direction for future builds.
  • CannonFodderCannonFodder Member Posts: 230
    Another vote here for a "kown Issues" thread, it really would help :-)
  • beaudoin_nbeaudoin_n Member Posts: 184
    I vote for the known issues too !

But really i'd like to see some kind of road map for future releases.
    I know the iPad is a must and is probably very easy to add because it doesn't change the logics that much just lets a bigger resolution and stuff.... but fixing bugs should be a constant work effort in my opinion.

True they added fun features and i think they might not even have been a major issue for anyone but what about adding/fixing stuff that is often discussed.

Personally i'd think that the bug fixing should be the main focus of the next release(s) and keep some kind of open poll for future enhancements... heck even make it available for pay only... ie iPad publishing is now an additionnal 99$ making different rating schemes for Gamesalad and be able for them to add some staff accordingly.
    The main team focuses on building the main release and the added staff focuses on research and development of new paid features. Once in a while the major things get thrown in for free in the express version, if they feel it is not a case exception but something the entire community will benefit from (ie arrays)

performance
    bugs
    in 0.8.5 please !!!

My 2 cents :)
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    I'll be interested to see in the next couple of weeks if all this iPad hub-bub is worth anything. My hunch is...it won't mean a damn thing in sales volume increase for gaming apps...since the market user base will be so limited initially. 3G is still the mainstay platform with an overwhelming number of market users. The ipad was invented (to my understanding) with book reading, streamed video and keyboard typing in mind primarily...not gaming so much...as the processor isn't that big a jump considering the increased rendering loads present on the device. It was introduced to compete directly with Amazon's popular (but limited) bookreader and to serve as a replacement for overhead projection monitors and hand held DVD players. The fact that it plays games is a bonus to the target market...as the price piont factor will keep it out of the hands of most young gamer/users.

As a result...my opinion is in line with beaudoin_n. We need optimization improvements desperately. The current GS features are very deep as it is. The new interpolation behavior sounds great as it seems that it offers performance improvement potential and replaces long standing workarounds (although I have yet to play with it since I am avoiding this update for the time being with all the bug complaints currently swarming and no optimization issues resolved in it).

However...all these other wish list items are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT as long as the GS engine is not optimized and the market continues to feel that GS games are sluggish, laggy and limited in performance. I think it would be good for us and for the gamers we are trying to sell to (and perhaps the GS name credibility) if the dev team and Gendai gets some serious optimization and bug fixes knocked out. Save the new bells and whistles for v0.9.5 or 1.1+.

Remember...the iPad isn't going to the mall or to school with the teen user base (the big gamer crowd)...as the iPad doesn't fit in your pocket or your purse. Only the gadget freaks will latch onto it initially (or businesses) and they are probably NOT going to be playing GS games (generally speaking).

The teens are the TOUGHEST CROWD to please on the app store...and they are not ones to sit around and accept laggy, underperforming games. Instead...they get pissed off...hit you with a truckload of crappy reviews and your game title (and perhaps your brand if it happens too often) is in the dumper. And to get their attention in the first place is damn near impossible if you don't build a fairly deep and challenging game for them...which self-feeds this cycle. Optimization issues are the current tail wagging the dog...when it should be a non-issue.

Keep working on the key issues Gendai...and don't let all this mid-stream diversion crap (like iPad) get in the way of making GS truly better for building gaming apps. iPad compatibility is not the solution (IMO)...a sound game engine is...THAT IS THE PRIORITY!!!

Thanks for listening Gendai (hopefully).