An easy question :) - Answered (I think, by myself getting off my arse)

pandathebearpandathebear Member Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Hi! I would like to make my first game and I've been perusing GameSalad and the forums for about a week now trying to gather together as much know-how as I can before attempting to put something together. I've watched youtube videos etc but as I know absolutely zip about coding, and about the attribute defintions (I noticed in some of the mac tutorials they had definitions when you hovered over the attribute, but windows doesnt seem to) I am sort of in struggle mode.

So I was wondering, is there an attribute/persistent/behaviours sort of glossary? I have googled it but don't get much.

And also, the main component of the game will be just clicking on something to change scenes (it's a choose-your-own adventure sort of thing) - what is the best rule set to do this? The whole game would revolve around just selecting 1 answer out of 2 or 3 and that would take you to a new scene. And a back/menu button I guess.

--- I have just stumbled upon the GS Windows Manual, haven't read it all yet but hopefully does the trick!

Comments

• master200012master200012 Member Posts: 372
    To answer your first question:

The gamesalad cookbook handles these things well. It has a whole dictionary of the basic actions and attributes, too (i believe). There's also some stuff in the tutorials.

GS also released a GS handbook some while back (a few months, I think). That came in handy; regardless of how good you may be it's still a help!

As for your second question, I can only say, I wouldn't have done all those scenes. I would have made maybe 2 or 3 scenes total, and have the user just navigate throughout the scene rather than have many a scene for few an answer.

Did I make myself unclear? If I did, just tag me and I'll try again for the second one.

Hope this helps! :)
  • NmdogdudeNmdogdude Member Posts: 174
    You could have an attribute 'which level', and have each answer change it to a certain #, then create a rule if attribute 'which level' = a certain number...change scene to scene whatever.

Or if you have two anwers, use a boolean where choice #1=false, and #2=true and change scenes accordingly.
  • pandathebearpandathebear Member Posts: 15
    I don't know how to tag people :(

Boolean's and Integers, and those details really confuse me - Boolean isn't even in the cookbook dictionary.

@master200012 - with the 2 or 3 screens, is that for performance issues? Because I was planning on having around 250 screens, which would be the little snippets of the story you're following, but only about 5 actors on each with a minor set of rules.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pandathebearpandathebear Member Posts: 15
    Cheers Tatiang.

One last thing - for an Android game, what is the platform that I should use to get started? I know for iPhone it is 320 x 480 (whichever way you look at it) so I do my Illustrator stuff at 640 x 960pts but I can't find the dimensions for Android.

Other than that I think I have accumulated enough general information from your help :)