Upcoming Changes to Kiip

124»

Comments

• MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
    To update the current Kiip users: We just sent out manual reports on Kiip earnings to everyone who has earned any amount through Kiip's service in GameSalad Creator. This report covered from March 2012 through June 2012.

If you put Kiip into a released game in that period and did not receive a report, then you didn't earn any money through Kiip monetization. Payouts are set at a minimum threshold of $100 following their payment to us. For those that are receiving money under that criteria, you will get payments according to the terms of service.

For those that have accrued less than $100, full Kiip payments of all monies owed will be sent out around the end of the calendar year, regardless of amount, if you haven't crossed the threshold before then.

-Mark
  • itwebsolutionitwebsolution Member Posts: 40
    I too am not at all pleased with this change. Fortunately, I put all of my Kiip actions into a group that I can switch off (because I had to do this for Android versions of the game).

I think that the Kiip model added a fun way for players to get something out of the game and was a selling point for my games. I understand that business changes happen, but this was a key feature of the upgrade to Pro for me. I am very disappointed...
  • gathersuccess2gathersuccess2 Member Posts: 5
    I totally agree with some of the member's here for those that spend lots of time and money and implement Kiip into their apps... I think it would be a better choice to allow the consumer to decide if they need Kiip a not.

Fortunately for myself I did not implemented Kiip yet.. but mostly I implement PlayHaven instead. But this makes me wonder if they can suddenly decide to kick out Kiip... will they ever kick PlayHaven as well :(

I felt a better solution for those that implemented Kiip, should be auto converted to PlayHaven at least apps that already publish still has some form of income.. if not there is no reason to update to Pro... I believe most people upgrade to Pro is for these two options mainly to monetize the apps.

And yes I am also very puzzle why they will never implement AdMob.. I wish the developer team can be more transparent about it. I am guessing either they got a deal with only PlayHaven and Kiip. But I wish the developer team can be more open to allow more APIs into the engine.. for example by allowing us to input our own ads instead as a javascript code... then force to use what is provided.

Also I am really puzzled.. where Facebook is so popular now.. why is there no API created for Facebook integration to our game engine?

I am sure... if Facebook integration is done.. you will start to see many gamesalad games taking advantage of this to implement muti player mode on our gamesalad games with Facebook friends. I do hope they consider to do this..

The feature I really like to see to allow Pro member to input their own HTML code or Javascript code into the game app.. because that would open up a whole different opportunity for developers like us.
  • gathersuccess2gathersuccess2 Member Posts: 5
    To update the current Kiip users: We just sent out manual reports on Kiip earnings to everyone who has earned any amount through Kiip's service in GameSalad Creator. This report covered from March 2012 through June 2012.

If you put Kiip into a released game in that period and did not receive a report, then you didn't earn any money through Kiip monetization. Payouts are set at a minimum threshold of $100 following their payment to us. For those that are receiving money under that criteria, you will get payments according to the terms of service.

For those that have accrued less than $100, full Kiip payments of all monies owed will be sent out around the end of the calendar year, regardless of amount, if you haven't crossed the threshold before then.

-Mark
    based on what you mention... why dont you allow us as the developer to implement to code of Kiip into our apps ourself.. rather then you manage the apps of Kiip for us?

Is it because you guys take a cut from our Kiips earning? If that's the case I can understand why you remove Kiip if it's not making money for GameSalad... but implementing does it have a lot of cost to the Dev Team?

I just puzzled.. anyone can go to Kiip and sign up an account there.. and it reports just nicely the earning so individual developers... so my guess why we have to go through you because you take a cut from our earnings to earn as a whole in Gamesalad community?

I would rather you charge Developer a monthly fee... let's say $10 or $20 to allow developer to implement their own HTML or javascript ads...
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    @FryingBaconStudios and I wanted to spin some Kiip into an upcoming title. We already previewed the process and it seamed harmless enough. While this throws a wrench into our roadmap, we will just take a detour...most likely around all the add features of GS until harmony returns.
  • PL4YERPL4YER Member Posts: 36
    This is just one of many reasons I have been less and less excited about GS.

You guys spent so long getting this feature implemented all so you can just remove it months later?

It just seems that so much time is spend on things most of use don't want or do want but would rather have more important stuff first. But they just don't want to hear our cries.

Months and months go by for an update and then when we get the update it lacks features and is riddled with bugs. I have been a fan boy over 3 years now but even I am getting to my breaking point.

If your going to invest all that time and money in these features at least do it right.

-Almost 2 years since the iPhone 4 retina and we still can't use a Retina splash screen.

-6 months since the iPad 3 and NO fix for all the iPad 3 issues including retina icon.

-100's of little bugs and work flow issues with GS and rather then address those they spend months and years on windows, android, HTML5 and in game advertisements. All of witch have even more issues then the current GS mac creator.

- rather then have little hot fix updates we have to wait on average 2 months to get bugs fixed from new updates.

-New features are released and never complete and then often abandoned, never to be improved upon or the bugs fixed.

-HTML 5 - slow, small windows, branded with GS and dosnt work with tables, Almost a year and NO improvements.

I can go on and on but i have a feeling this post will not last long.

But in short, please consider what your users want rather then your shareholders.
    Because happy users will in the end make for happy investors.

T
    I cannot believe what I'm reading. NO retina support??? I almost signed up for pro just an hour ago and I'm glad I found this thread. It looks to me that GS still has a long way to go.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @pl4yer you have taken one comment and completly misunderstood it.

Gs has Retina support and has for a long time. It just lacked a retina splash screen and icon(iPad 3) that's all.

Please fully research the product before taking one users comment and running with it to distort and treat it as fact.
  • PL4YERPL4YER Member Posts: 36
    @tenrdrmer how is that retina support when the main icon and splash screen which people will see before they even play your game is not retina supported? There's a reason why I was a member for 3 years and did not go the GS route. Recently, I visited the site again and thought a lot of changes were made and was excited now but after reading this thread, I'm thinking twice about it.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Well obviously I'm still not happy with this decision, but I do have one final question, which has been posted before, but I have yet to see a clear answer.

If we have integrated Kiip into our games, and those games are currently live in the App Store, are we required to push out an update to our Kiip-integreated apps to remove the Kiip behaviors before October 31st? Basically, will our games begin to crash if a Kiip behavior is called after October 31st, or will the game continue to function normally, the only difference being the lack of a Kiip Reward that is displayed?

Some clarification on this would be much appreciated so I know if I need to scramble and get updates ready ASAP.

- Alex
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I wouldn't mind if you came to us and said "We are replacing kiip with admob." Remove it when you have something to replace it.
    Yep, that would have been smart.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @osucowboy18 yes they have answered it. The behavior will just cease to funtction. Nothing else will happen and you are not required to send any new updates though if that is your only monetization of te app you may want to consider updating with playhaven or anything new they have come out with by then.

Cheers
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thanks @tenrdrmer, apologies for not seeing that answer before. Good to know!

- Alex
  • zombiesdrulezombiesdrule PRO Posts: 131
    @osucowboy18 yes they have answered it. The behavior will just cease to funtction. Nothing else will happen and you are not required to send any new updates though if that is your only monetization of te app you may want to consider updating with playhaven or anything new they have come out with by then.

Cheers
    Not so easy when all my games have "Kiip" in the title....
  • famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    Can't someone make a plugin which will install these third party money making apps?
    If Kiip is removed what other option do we have?
    @wickedsunny - Playhaven and iAds for the time being. We're working to introduce new monetization options.
    Can we use inapp selling options, announcement and rewards system of playhaven with GS?