iPad Publishing

adadoadado Member Posts: 219
Okay, so I haven't really been looking into it since I was in mid-project on my third iPhone/iPod Touch app and doubt I will get an iPad until 2nd gen. Also, wasn't sure if GS would roll out support soon or not. Now with support and everyone all excited, it is kind of rubbing off.

So, if we develop an iPad app, is it a fully separate app than an iPhone/iPod Touch version or can you add all the screen size and orientation logic into one app (sort of like a universal binary) so that it will be one binary upload to support both the old and the new? I see the newest GS supports all sorts of orientation now and the old version supported different resolutions but have they added device detection or such to go the "universal" method.

Yeah, haven't had a chance to dive into 0.8.4 and have been to lazy to look into the iPad documentation like I normally would have done. ;-)

Comments

• adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    Well, I see Game->Display Size->Width/Height but I would surmise that the app, upon launch, would need to sense the size of the device and offer some commands for such.

Also, with the info in the app's main plist file, I'm guessing separate apps are needed for iPad and then for iPhone/iPod Touch.

Correct me if I'm wrong whether you know for GS or even for the normal XCode/SDK development method.
  • jkanalakisjkanalakis Member, PRO Posts: 49
    As far as I can tell, GameSalad doesn't support Universal binaries. At publish time, it seems that you must select either iPhone or iPad. Multiple orientations are supported (with the exception of the GameSalad start screen on iPhone). So for now, we'll need to submit separate iPhone games and iPad games. It's too bad... Universal binary is Apple's "preferred" solution and it really benefits everyone. We developers can have iPad games leverage good reviews & success from iPhone games - and - consumers get 2 games for one purchase (for the iPhone and iPad). I'd say that this is a really nice to have feature from GameSalad.

John K.