My app was rejected because of crashing

HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in Tech Support
So, my game is permanently crashing if I hit the play button.

I was hoping that it is only my iPhone, but unfortunately not.

Apple rejected my game, because they couldn't start it either.

What now? As far as I know, there is no crash report in GS, so I can't even look for the problem.

But I have screen rotating and iPad function. Cool, now my game can crash on iPad too! Yeehaaa!

Comments

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Thanks Tshirt.

I don't know if you will find anything. It was working to a certain point in development, but then somewhere it always started to go crazy even if I didn't do anything.

I just copy+pasted my actors within the application, so I think, the move to rules are the problem...or I don't know...

The first scene which is started after loading is just a background and a few actors with move to rules. It always worked well. After I added more and more actors which will load when you push certain buttons on the initial scene, it started to crash.

But these actors should have no influence to the initial scene loading.

However thanks. I have sent you the file, but I must say, it is not your duty to look at it. It is GS's to provide basic functionality even if I only pay 99 dollar.

They should rearrange their priorities and work on a stable and functional software first, before they go to fricken shows and publish useless fricken ipad updates.

Argh...I am sooo mad.
    Tshirt, thanks, I will test it, but I don't think, that tis is the problem.

If it were just the camera, I would have seen a black screen, but it wouldn't crash back to the iPhone screen.

And it worked some times fine.

If I started the game, it was showing a black screen and then showed the game just fine. Some times it showed the black screen and then crashed.

So the camera may be one problem, but I think, it doesn't explain the crashes.
    But I will try it again and report back.

Thanks anyways.
    Ok I hope you are right.
    I test it.
    Ok, it seems to work now.
    Thank you very much!

But then I don't understand, how the camera is working.

In my other app, which I want to upload this weekend I have 2 scenes made bigger than the others too. Although I didn't experience any crashes with it, now I am afraid.

I still don't understand, what the problem was. If you could explain, what you did exactly, maybe I would understand, what I did wrong.

The other thing is that after I compiled the app with GS o.8.4 my logo starts up side down and rotate to the right position after a second.

I used the first icon (landscape left... i believe) on the publish screen where you can choose how the app should be shown.

Everything else shows up right, but the logo is up side down.

---

Yes, if we already have an ipad option, I will use it for sure :-)
    ah ok.

You are a lifesaver!
    If I would believe in god, I would say: god bless you :-)
    I installed the new GS viewer and now my app (even your fixed version) is still crashing on my phone...

It works in the previously built test version...
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    could be xcode issue
    I know there are some problems

Did you try just uploading to GS and putting it on with Itunes.

I NEVER use the viewer... It just pisses me off........ and not much does.
    Just to let you know even if I don't wait for your answer.

My game is rejected a second time even with your fixed version because of crashing. Yes, they say "crashing" because it goes back to the iphone screen.

The crash report's title is "low on memory".

So it is crashing, because it is low on memory. It is not the camera. The camera was never a problem, because as I said, it was working sometimes and other times wasn't.

So.

I assume there are 3 possibilities

I somehow generate an infinite loop
    GS has problems with spawning actors in bigger ammounts
    GS has problems with "move to" behaviour in bigger ammounts

Until GS has no crash report tools, I think I will not find out.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Hunnenkoenig - Are you able to use the GS Viewer app?

When you test your game using GS Viewer, it gives you all the stats, like FPS and RAM usage.

I forget what the exact number is, but if the RAM usage hits something like 60MB, the device will crash.

I know that spawning actors is rough on the RAM.

MoveTo seems to have been fixed in the latest release: 0.84. I tested it by moving an object at 2000 pixels/sec and it worked fine. This was NOT the case in 0.83.
    In my GS viewer 8.4 it crashes and the device disconnects. I don't even see the stats.

When I publish it to the iPhone by uploading and receiving, it seems to work on my device, but it doesn't seem to work on apple's side, which lets me assume that they use also some Viewer software or the appstore release is somehow borked.

I don't know.

All my menu items use move to behaviours and there are around 20 of them at the same time.
    As I said

It crashes on GS Viewer 8.4 (it crashed for me also, when it worked for you)
    it works in AdHoc
    It crashes in Appstore (based on apple's rejection)
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    We have tabled bumper derby X-treme along with everything else we have started with GS. Nothing seems to work CORRECTLY that we have tried...there is always SOMETHING that breaks or is buggy when processed.

We have optimized everything there is to optimize in BDX. Our game uses about 40-45 megs of RAM during runtime at the most complex game modes. Works fine in the software test and on the web...Generally it works fine on a device.

The game engine ticks up for about 2 minutes after scene start. We have been able to weather the uptick in RAM (but it was hard to get there even). However....

We tested the game...surpassed the uptick. then we basically placed the device on the table and let it run for a while. Didn't do ANYTHING to it. Just let is run.

Sure enough...after about 5 or 6 minutes...the game engine spikes about 2-3 MEGS in RAM...for absolutely no apparent reason. The result was a crash to desktop due to an "OUT OF MEMORY" failure.

There is something MAJORLY wrong with the game engine right now. I imagine you let any game run long enough...it will crash as the physics engine appears to cycle and mis-use the processor.

We have pretty much thrown our hands up and have given up on GS for the time-being. Until their game engine is more stable...we are tired of wasting our time trying to figure it out.
    When I start my game to the logo and menu, it says game engine 22,x MB. In summary there is 26,x MB. That is only an image with 2 buttons to push (which are about a few hundred kilobytes).
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    We need to keep these two out of the same thread to avoid "wave amplification" scenarios.

;-)
    It worked on my ad hoc version.
    I also said after that that it crashes in the viewer.

I thought, if it works in adhoc it will work on apple's side too, so I didn't want to go into details.

@Adado: LOL
    @ Hunn,
    We found that the intial game engine (with 1 scene and NO actors)
    starts out at 5.4 MB.

Anything you add bloats that up at anywhere for 10-20:1 ratio in proportionality. In other words. 1 15KB actor = about 150-300 KB in gameEngine RAM damage.

No idea why...as GS doesn't care to "respond" to any requests for information.

@adado...
    whatever man... |: (
    Its not our fault GS is unstable...and not appearing to improve...but actually worsen.

Whatever...
    I'm done with it!
    Good bye.
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    @syn: Oh, sheesh...I understand your concerns and mostly agree. I was just bustin' some you-know-whats. :-D
    @tshirt: I am doing it right now, but until now it doesn't help :-(

I am sure, the worm is somewhere else in the system....

The big screen was made, because I wanted to add some other functionality to the game, which would have required that. Now those features can't be added, so I am shrinking the screen.

@Synthesis, come on, man :-)
    Don't give up! :-)
    Tired of banging my head against the proverbial GS wall.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Hey, they just announced iPad support! Hahahahahaaa!

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=4891
    Maybe I try to use interpolation instead of move to...
  • CatOnAKeyboardCatOnAKeyboard Member Posts: 39
    @tshirtbooth Could you explain, or give your opinion as to why starting over from scratch helps so much?

It isn't that I don't believe you, it's that I don't understand how it could help if you are doing the same things again.
    @Tshirt, I was really at that point, but I first wanted to try to get rid of the "move to" things and it seems, I am right.

In my game, when it starts up there are about 25 actors with "move to" rules which move the actors into and out of the screen. They spawn normally outside of the screen.

I tested the GS Viewer with less and less actors. It always crashed.
    My last test was with 12 actors and it crashed.

Now what I did is, I deleted everything from the screen, I just kept 4 actors there and changed their "move to" rules to "interpolate self.position.X" and I tested. It worked fine in the viewer.

Then I added the actors up to 12 again and of course I changed the "move to" to "interpolate" everywhere and it starts in the viewer just normal.

So I am 80% sure, that too many "move to" behaviours will crash your app.

I am still testing and I will report.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I completely started my first game over too.
    Of course it still sucked - nothing was gonna prevent that