MY FLOW FREE INSPIRED GAME (DEVELOPMENT THREAD)

EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Member Posts: 132
edited September 2012 in Announce Your Game!
Hey Guys,

This thread has been created to showcase the development of my new game, which is largely based on the popular game Flow Free. I want to give the game a digital, retro feel and use minimal art and introduce smooth transitions between the levels and menu systems.

The following video shows the game working correctly,

I am currently working on a method to have the path interpolating as it is being drawn out, and create some sort of transition between the path being linked, I might play around with alpha to create the transition of connection.

Comments

• EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Member Posts: 132
    Yeah, I've gone down this road with @tenrdrmer, this is to showcase the development of my new game and would not be created as a template.

Cheers.
    Here's an update illustrating the interpolation effect while drawing paths, I also decided to set the alpha at 0.4 for path tracing, and then interpolate both the size and alpha to the original state to illustrate a link being formed,

The game is running at 58fps with a 8x8 grid, I am going to test this out with a 10x10 and hopefully there isn't much of a drop, fingers crossed!!!
  • xforcexforce Member Posts: 187
    nice work there
  • ZoytZoyt Member Posts: 374
    This is pretty sweet. Good luck!
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    speechless
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    Great work on this. Very fluid.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Awesome stuff - Well done!
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    I've just spent the day rethinking all of the logic. Although the above worked, the logic was messy and involved a lot of rules based upon the type of cell, which meant I couldn't use a lot of different colours. Now I have really integrated tables into the logic and can use any colour I wish with no compromise to the performance. With the use of tables I have also set up various grid sizes, which load instantly!

I tested with 10x10 grid and it works fine, with a idle fps of 60s+, during tracing of the path the fps can vary, but its usually over 50+.

Awesome - Well done!
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    edited September 2012
    Cheers for the great comments guys!

I've been working on implementing a menu system into the game. The following video shows the early design. The first button is the start button, the second 2 that appear would be time trial and arcade mode, then the last 3 would be the three grid sizes.

Bear in mind everything is going to take place in 1 scene! That's Levels and Menu, consider a 10x10 grid, which would be my worst case in terms of number of actors on the scene at any time, can anyone count how many actors this would require...current fps drops to around 48 during attribute updates, but is averaging around 56!

I'm going to lower the number of levels per world to 30, so I can use larger icons, which would be more touch friendly, and thinking to start the game at a mere 150 levels/grid size, which is 450 levels!!!

All of the colours and and images would be changed upon the final design, plus I will not be using that font!! Apologise about the low recording frame rate, its the best I can do at the moment.

edited September 2012
    As opposed to Flow Free, I am going to include a unlocking feature, which would mean the user must complete a level to move onto the next. I'm also thinking of including unlock-able content that would allow the user to customise the appearance of the game, and increase the gaming experience :)
    :-bd awesome as usual
    Hey guys, I have an update of my work, I've improved upon the menu system and now its more faster and sleeker and can enter into the various grid sizes and levels near instantly with the awesome power of tables! I'm going to work on a more transient state of level selection, maybe an overlay fades the menu to black and fades out revealing the grid, followed by the actual level actors bouncing with colour...

I have yet to set up the levels...

fps during scrolling drops to around 48-50, otherwise its running very smooth!

• maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    This is looking good man, keep it up! Art is very important in game design though, don;t forget that :) But with some tweaking, good art, and just a bit of a luck, I see this doing well on the AppStore. Congrats!

Cheers
    Max
    Is there any updates?
  • JGTowersJGTowers Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    edit; Removed
  • JGTowersJGTowers Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    edit; Removed
    edited December 2012
    Hey @JGTowers - while it's great to see your vid, I do not think it appropriate to post a video of your go in the same thread as @EIGHTHSIN. Perhaps create your own thread about it.