Windows 8 apps publishing...it's a pity..

izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
edited October 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey everyone, I feel really let down after getting all excited about windows 8. All 3 of my best games don't work properly after porting over to windows 8 apps. I'm just letting off steam here. So if you share the same sentiment, or have a solution do chip in here.
sigh.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    yea, i only have two games out of 6 that worked out of the box. two others have table issues, and two others have strange bugs. I think those are related to timers, but it's hard to troubleshoot, they work fine in the windows viewer but once compiled stop working.

the life of a developer i guess! :)
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    Hi Jon, yeah I guess so. You're lucky you got 2 games with no issues :D Looking forward to see those games at the store during launch!
    actually, make that one game. the other one stopped working after a period, and i think I know why.

if you have a rule with more than one condition, it doesn't fire off. In my zombie heads game I have a rule that says if score is less than 1000, spawn 4 different types of heads. when score is between 1000 and 2500, spawn 6 different heads, when over 2500 spawn 8 heads.

Once the score goes higher than 1000 points the rules stop firing. If I switch the rule to be between 0 and 1000, it stops as well.

time to submit a bug!
  • hotMagichotMagic Member, PRO Posts: 266
    Really? So if you have rule that says "if X=1 and if Y=5" it won't work? I find it hard to believe that GS didn't test their games, which HAVE to contain some complicated rules. I mean, billy said on the post that they have a few games ready to go on Win 8. @StraightSaladShooter is this a known issue?
  • part12studiospart12studios Member Posts: 620
    how do you test your apps? i have win8 now installed via parallels.. and i have a dev license with windows 8.. i compiled the app and i downloaded the .zip file.. i put it on the desktop in windows 8.. how to i "run" this zip in order to see how it performs on win8?
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    how do you test your apps? i have win8 now installed via parallels.. and i have a dev license with windows 8.. i compiled the app and i downloaded the .zip file.. i put it on the desktop in windows 8.. how to i "run" this zip in order to see how it performs on win8?

I have the same question
    Really? So if you have rule that says "if X=1 and if Y=5" it won't work? I find it hard to believe that GS didn't test their games, which HAVE to contain some complicated rules. I mean, billy said on the post that they have a few games ready to go on Win 8. @StraightSaladShooter is this a known issue?
    not exactly, and I can't nail it down either. I've been in contact with QA about it and sent in my project, so we will see what they say.

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Thank you for posting up the pdf @saladstraightshooter . That will help a lot!

My current game luckily enough works fine when ported over to Windows. The only thing I have noticed is that I use pitch shift within GameSalad, and the pitch shift did not port over to Windows. That's it. Just a simple pitch shift setting. I think the more complex a game is, the more likely you will have to go back and tweak some things.
    not exactly, and I can't nail it down either. I've been in contact with QA about it and sent in my project, so we will see what they say.

Try regenerating your apps now, they were able to find an potential cause of the strange issues I was seeing and push a fix. I did some quick tests in in two apps that had strange issues, they work now.