AMD Processors and "Hackintoshes"

teryakiteryaki Member Posts: 3
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Game salad works to some extent on AMD based systems. Using the back or home buttons generally results in a crash. I have had mixed results adding and changing things in the supplied examples, and can't get far enough to run anything if I try to start from scratch. If your planning on building a hackintosh just to run Gamesalad, allow me to save you some time and headache. Gamesalad only works with Intel processors, and I can't say for sure that it would fully work on an intel based hackintosh.

Does anyone out there have any experiences with intel based hackintoshes that they could share?

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059
    I was running GameSalad on an Intel netbook for a while before I upgraded, so it works fine on Intel Macs. I'm not sure if it's a CPU problem or a video card problem. Our engine is OpenGL based, so it may be a driver incompatibility.
  • teryakiteryaki Member Posts: 3
    O great :( My video card is the infamous ATI xpress 200. Methinks it's time for a pci or agp card. I'll get back with ya as soon as I can do some real opengl/AMD testing. Thanx!
  • RossiRossi Member Posts: 5
    I have a Hackintosh'd (Intel based) Aspire Netbook, everything works perfectly GameSalad wise .. except being able to view/play the games other people have uploaded. I've installed the Safari add-on etc but they take an age to load and then I just get a "play" button symbol in the middle of the screen that does nothing :( guess there isn't a work around and don't know what's causing it.

Sorry for the bump, been meaning to post this for days now.
  • teryakiteryaki Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I have been messing about with Gamesalad on my AMD based hackintosh for a couple of weeks now and here's what I have.

I do not think that Gamesalad being an openGL application is causing my problems as I can run the demos no problem.

Only when I use the actual back, forward, and home navigation buttons, do I get a crash situation.

If I use the view menu to navigate, I rarely get a crash situation.

And if I use the keyboard shortcuts I never get a crash situation.

It takes a little getting used to but I think I am actually more productive this way. :D