iPhone/iPod touch memory question

ashriotashriot Member Posts: 8
Hi all :)

I'm just curious what a normal value for the GS Viewer's Memory Usage section should be. Also, what is the maximum that we should try to avoid?

And besides unchecking non-movable Actors' Movable box, are there any other ways to optimize an app? Many of my actors are just still icons or numbers, so any physics and stuff can be disabled.

My game runs about 40-50MB depending on what's on screen. The FPS seems fine around 45-50. Is this normal?

Thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    We have found that a 40-45MB RAM threshold crashes a 3G and an iPodTouch.

There are many optimization tips throughout the forum and support sections.
  • ashriotashriot Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I searched google and gamesalad.com's search, but mostly found repeats of the same information, which was basically just disable movement on non-moving objects. I was just wondering if anyone knew of additional ways.

Also, it seems even when I run one of the starter projects, like the basic Shoot 'em Up game, it's already at 39 - 40 MB. So does that mean a game can't be more complex than the starter project? In fact, it should be less complex since at 40 it could already crash! Seems odd to me.

I forgot to mention that this is on the iPhone simulator, and I'm not sure if the real device records lower numbers maybe?
  • ashriotashriot Member Posts: 8
    In case anyone else has this problem, on my actual iPhone, I'm getting only 15 MB Memory Usage :D That's MUCH better!

Happy coding!
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    I have noticed on 3G I only crash if I go over about 55mb. I consistently run around 50mb. I am not sure how accurate it actually is though.