Updated Roadmap

Comments

• EbreezeEbreeze Member, PRO Posts: 481
    Wouldn't multiplayer require some kind of server? :-B .....like the developer would own and operate there own server? ...just thinking out loud
  • JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
    Really looking forward to AUTO SAVE! Just had a Creator Crash and lost about 30min of work. I know, I know, save early and save often...blah blah blah. ;) Sometimes you just work so fast and get into a groove you don't think to save. lol

Road map looks good, hope the New UI for Mac looks nothing like the Windows UI. I bought a Macbook just so I didn't have to look at it. lol
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Wouldn't multiplayer require some kind of server? :-B .....like the developer would own and operate there own server? ...just thinking out loud
    That is one way it could be done. It could also be done through GameSalad, over bluetooth, or more likely through GameCenter multiplayer.
  • jkkwakjkkwak Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have been waiting for Android In-App-Purchase. I really like to know where it will be available. Since the announcement, already 5 weeks have passed.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    can you please update us on iPhone 5 support? It has been almost 2 months since the release of the iPhone 5.
  • venon_itvenon_it Member, PRO Posts: 594
    can you please update us on iPhone 5 support? It has been almost 2 months since the release of the iPhone 5.
    yes!! when arrive support to iPhone 5???? pleaseeeeeee

• venon_itvenon_it Member, PRO Posts: 594
    I think this week

I hope...
  • PixelMetalPixelMetal Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2012
    @Photics - it's unlikely we'll support the old engine in the sense that it will continue to gain upgrades. Sustaining may be a better term for it - once native code is released, the upgrade - and future features, etc - will likely apply only to the Pro version of the product, with the existing feature set at that time being the "basic" version.
    I'm a bit of a newer (Pro) user and haven't posted to these community boards, and I hate to necro an old comment, but this seems exceptionally - maybe even impressively - short-sighted.

As for reasons, the best response may be: Unity Standard is free and does a whole heck of a lot more. Yes, they're different engines and target markets, but if the freely available version were to remain somewhere in the "buggy to the point that GS Creator barely runs on a high end machine and crashes constantly" realm, I can't honestly say that I can see that being helpful in attracting a larger audience.

While I'm well aware I paid for beta software and can suffer through some of the things that should obviously be fixed (no way to sort attributes? No folders to visually organize game assets in Creator? Goodbye naming conventions and usability from a development standpoint, etc.), this may be harder to justify as GS tries to increase its target audience.

GameSalad seems pretty cool. Enough that I figured I'd give it a whirl and, constant annoyances and workarounds aside (eg. some kind of REAL global function library would be awesome - having to recreate rules on multiple objects because GS doesn't recognize an attribute with THE SAME NAME if I drop a custom behavior into my library and try to put it on another object, making it essentially useless for all the things it breaks by doing so), there's definitely something here that could evolve into a great development tool.

Maybe the management team needs to look at reality and see what's going on around it? I get and have been in the cave you stick in during a lengthy/on-going development cycle, but I dunno...fingers crossed.
  • AppsterDudeAppsterDude Member Posts: 84
    Please tell me your not changing the mac UI to the window UI with the separate window for the preview?!?
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    Hey everyone,

We’re targeting to release an initial batch of Ice Cap games running on the native code engine starting this month. We’ll continue to optimize the engine as we add more games and then eventually open it up to a subsection of the Pro community starting in November.
    Is there any updates on that?

• JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
    Hey everyone,

We’re targeting to release an initial batch of Ice Cap games running on the native code engine starting this month. We’ll continue to optimize the engine as we add more games and then eventually open it up to a subsection of the Pro community starting in November.
    Is there any updates on that?

@SaladStraightShooter is there any updates on SF Comments? When PRO user can start using native engine?
    @SaladStraightShooter Did you read what I asked?
  • MeaningfulGamesMeaningfulGames Member, PRO Posts: 171
    @creativeapps ...again?
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    edited December 2012
    "Native Code Engine– this one’s been a beast of an undertaking, but it’s getting close to a public release. For those unfamiliar with this project, we’re getting rid of our Lua-based engine and replacing it with a new engine that compiles down to native code, dramatically improving performance and load times. We’re targeting to release an initial batch of Ice Cap games running on the native code engine starting this month. We’ll continue to optimize the engine as we add more games and then eventually open it up to a subsection of the Pro community starting in November. If all goes well with the testing, we’re targeting early next year for a public release to our Pro community."

had not said it was for November finale? can and we are in December ... I want to test the new engine, please, please, please, xD
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    I may not say this as elegantly as other but....

All the dates are bollocks, if they had any new information they would have said.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    @creativeapps - im not really sure I follow, that's exactly what they said would
    happen, and the dates are just words, they have no actual meaning.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Please please please [-O< lets not start up another, I want the new engine now and you said we would have it on x and its y now and we still don't have it, ect....

Im not going to single out anyone here, but those who are doing it know, so if you could please just back off a little and be patient. I'm sure GS is trying as hard as possible to get this to us, but they also want to make it as perfect and as bug free as they can. That doesn't happen overnight. Its nearing completion as Steve said, and were in the final lap here, so just hang in there. Thanks guys.

John
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    Please please please [-O< lets not start up another, I want the new engine now and you said we would have it on x and its y now and we still don't have it, ect....

Im not going to single out anyone here, but those who are doing it know, so if you could please just back off a little and be patient. I'm sure GS is trying as hard as possible to get this to us, but they also want to make it as perfect and as bug free as they can. That doesn't happen overnight. Its nearing completion as Steve said, and were in the final lap here, so just hang in there. Thanks guys.

John
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaamen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    edited December 2012
    The dates are guidelines, they are not set in stone. They even said the time range is always subject to change, they say that in every roadmap.

It will be early next year before any of us get our hands on it. They say they will release to a subsection of testers in November, and have it ready for the public early next year. I'm guessing that they did that since Jay and Silent Bob has been updated.
    @JohnPapiomitis fine thanks for the reply. I was expecting that from SSS. Anyways now its clear... :)
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    Well let me be the first to commend the GS team for the new engine :)
    Been a while since mentioned it was in production and I am sure it has come a long way since those days and we will look and think 'what would games with loading times be like' but we will never know.

I think the wait is fine as much as we all want it, waiting that extra bit for something better should pay off in the long run.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Patience is a key ingredient in making a perfect game salad. :)
  • Game Salad Team,
    Here at Elf on the Shelf we are new to Game Salad, in the last 90 days we have been able to go from no apps to almost 10 apps in the iOS store over Half a Million Downloads. I am very please with what game salad has given us with such a small investment.... but at this point we must evaluate our road map in the digital space after this holiday season.... I am extremely interested in the native engine and to see its capabilities... I would love to stay on this platform for our future games but currently the existing feature set does not meet the requirements we have for the next updates from our games. Corona seems to have a lot of the features we need... but I would hate to start over.... but will do if we have to... would love to test new platform... before making my decision on platform for the New Year...
    R
    Roger Lopez
    Digital Strategy
    Elf on the Shelf
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    would love to test new platform... before making my decision on platform for the New Year...
    Get in the queue sunshine :)

Maybe you should invest in a Pro licence so you can take a look at the new engine when it first comes out.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2012
    @ Elf your message might be better as a private message to straightsaladshooter. The linecooks haven't even tested yet so it's still in alpha stage.
This discussion has been closed.