I can't set a scene background image!

ali.ahali.ah Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I just downloaded GS basic 0.1 for Windows 7. Everything seems to work fine except that I can't set the background image of a scene. It blocks me from dragging an image over to drop on the background layer icon. If I drag an image over to the scene, it automatically becomes an actor which is not what I want.

In this version, how do I set an image to just be a background image instead of becoming an actor?

There is no 'Scene Editor' button as in previous versions but I see the scene attributes below.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    You cannot just set an image by itself. Everything in the scene is an actor. So if you want a background you have to create an actor and make it the size of the background you want and then place it where you want in your scene
  • ali.ahali.ah Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.
  • Blu TechBlu Tech Member Posts: 9
    Still doesn't work! I try that, but It wont work, and if I put an actor on the screen with a color and preview it, it shows up as a white spot, and non of the rules or anything I set, work!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Still doesn't work! I try that, but It wont work, and if I put an actor on the screen with a color and preview it, it shows up as a white spot, and non of the rules or anything I set, work!
    start with reading the cookbook and watching tutorial videos on youtube, i think you're missing some of the basic foundation in gamesalad that you'll need to master before tackling larger projects.
  • Blu TechBlu Tech Member Posts: 9
    I've been watching a lot of tutorial videos!
  • -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    @Blu Tech you are probably working on a windows... on windows you only can have the colors white, black, green, blue and red. so if there is 255 green and 1 blue then you will see in preview a white actor... if you have 255 green then you will see a green actor.
  • KungvaldKungvald Member Posts: 31

just change the position Y & X on the upper right corner to 0 and you will see the actor down left on the screen.

• bhen09bhen09 Member Posts: 2

This is a major problem with gamesalad and all of the people responding seem to be taking it too lightly. Changing the x/y position does not work, trust that we have tried menial things like that already. Instead of showing the background it defaults the whole screen to the color set for the scene. If the background is deleted then you can see all the other actors. There is a problem with the background that there shouldn't be.

• bhen09bhen09 Member Posts: 2

Question for somebody who really knows how GS works, does using a jpeg for the image of the actor have something to do with it? Images created in paint seem to have less problem, but obviously using microsoft paint for your images is not ideal in the slightest.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
    edited May 2015

You might want to check the transparency of the actor under its color. Make sure the slider is all the way up on the transparency bar. Then to your jpeg question. They should work but just for testing purposes you might want to try GIMP and use it to export images as .pngs. ANNNND on windows @timolapre1998 you can have all of the colors of the color wheel set as a scene color. That is how I made my background look like it was at sunset