What resolution for the iPad - still 72ppi?

JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
The designer in me tells me the screen resolution for the iPad would still be 72ppi like any screen device, but I thought I read somewhere that the resolution was something higher, is this true?

Comments

• rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    I think it is 132 or 136...cannot recall off-hand. My 72dpi doesn't look too bad in the simulator.
  • jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 233
    On Apple's site their specs say 132 ppi. :)
    @jhaas: thanks. I was pretty sure it was 132. I probably just shouldn't have posted, eh!
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Wow so my photoshop files need to be 1024x768(landscape) at 132ppi?
    <hiccup> ;-)
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @JCFord: No, you should still make your graphics at 72 dpi.

The 132 ppi is the pixel density of the screen

iPad is 132 ppi
    iPhone is 163 ppi
    24 inch iMac is 94 ppi ...
    FMG: Is that the case? Have most people been reading the 132dpi thing wrong!? I thought I read somewhere that the images should be saved at 132dpi but maybe I was reading what others have else also falsely stated.

If we can still use 72dpi...thank gawd. I thought my 72dpi looked fine in the simulator and was still scratching my head why the resolution would nearly double for a non-print display that is pretty similar to the iPhone/Touch.
    .png images throw out the DPI info anyway.
    I'm pretty sure Interface Builder in the SDK only accepts images saved at 72dpi.

Save for Web in Photoshop throws out any DPI stuff as well, as it's not for print.

Forget all the DPI and PPI stuff. You're really only dealing with the number of pixels in the image.

If you make a graphic that is 64 pixels by 64 pixels, It's going to look different on all the devices/screens. You can even change your computer monitor's resolution so the same graphic looks larger/smaller depending on the resolution.

At least the iPhone/Touch/iPad screens have a fixed resolution...

You just need to be aware of how sizes appear differently on each device.

I'll admit, it is all pretty confusing!
    @FMG: Thanks for re-affirming what I pretty much believed. I pretty much stated that a while back:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=3166#post-18025

But the fear of Apple approval makes you start to second guess yourself. :-|
    @rebump: I hear that. Definitely makes one nervous. "Did I submit it correctly?" If it's any consolation, all my games have been approved, and all were saved at 72dpi.

---

The iPad's screen is 1024x768 pixels. Those are the only numbers you should be concerned with.

You can make your 1024x768 pixel image 32DPI or 500,000 DPI. It doesn't matter. It will look the same. It still only has 1024x768 pixels.

However, you should still save it at 72DPI as it is the default. And the iDevices expect it that way.

What is nice, is that the iDevices have teensy tiny pixels, which are packed together tighter, so your images look even more crisp. However, because of that, your images also appear smaller - which is what you need to plan for.

A 32x32 icon on your Desktop is fine to click on, but the same icon on an iPhone would be too small. That is why the icons you make for the iPhone are 57x57. Something to consider when making your games as well. Things like tiny bullets on your computer monitor become even smaller on an iPhone.
  • uthpal111uthpal111 Member Posts: 1
    How to use accelerometer in iPad game?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    uthpal111 said:
    How to use accelerometer in iPad game?

this threads a year old and has nothing to do with what your asking. Please dont bump old threads expecially with new questions that dont deal with the topic. Feel free to start a new thread with your question.
This discussion has been closed.