Is it possible to have a real game of chasings?

Well hello,

First up I would just like to say kudos to everyone who makes games on here, it's harder than it looks!

I am currently trying to make (slowly giving up on) a side-scrolling platformer with the main character being pursued by a deviant of some sort.

The hero would finish the level by making it to the end unscathed, having to jump up ledges etc without stuffing up too many times so his adversary doesn't catch him.

Is it possible to make the adversary climb the ledges/follow the hero properly like in a real-life chase situation?

I think eventually I'm going to throw in the towel and try to pay someone to do it, it took me about six hours to make my ledges actually support people :(

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    It all depends on how you want the adversaries to move and how realistic you want things to look. Can you do it? Yes. How do you do it? That's really up to you. For example, you could have a rule that says when the adversary collides with a ledge, have it move up at a certain speed and animate so that it looks like it's climbing. You'd then need a rule that says when the adversary is climbing and collides with the ground (above the ledge) move to the right.

I would not say any of this is very easy but you can make it easier by keeping your rules (and expectations) simple.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• forrestdog2forrestdog2 Member Posts: 11
    If your having trouble with the actually movement part, I would make it so that it either slows the movement of the protagonist, or speeds up the antagonist whenever you hit an obstacle. For example, There might be an index controlling the protagonist's speed and every time you hit an obstacle it would subtract by 20 or so.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    My advice as being new to GS, take your time and start with simple games and keep learning so you don't get overwhelmed. Good luck!
  • pandathebearpandathebear Member Posts: 15
    thanks for the help guys and @fryingbaconstudios I think you have a very valid point :)