Making Money with Free Apps.

I'm very new to the app. creation industry, but very motivated. I know there are a lot of free apps. that get loaded on the stores, and I was just curious... do people make money somehow with free apps., or are they primarily to get your name out there?

Thanks,
Benjamight

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    They earn money from free apps, yes. Mostly through In-App Purchases and possibly iAds (Depends on the game)

Both of these features are available if you purchase GameSalad Pro.

Hope this helps.
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    Hello,

So for my game Project Boom, I made it completely free with no ads or in app purchases, for primarily branding purposes. If your looking to make money off an app, iAds and in app purchases will help. The other option is to get a 3rd party advertiser to see if they'll pay you more for putting there ad in the game.

Cheers
    Max
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited December 2012
    @Benjamight

If I were you, I would go with Lite Version and Paid Version for your first app, rather than getting GameSalad Pro to monetize free apps.

@GSHelper 's method of branding is a risk, and you may end up working hard on a 100%-free app that doesent sell well. His game was EXTREMELY high-quality, and made by some of GameSalad's very best (it won the GameSalad game of the month, too). So unless your very confident that your app is going to be really successsful, don't monetize with free apps.

Just make sure you have a good game, then make the Lite version good enough that people get hooked on the game, but small enough that it doesen't give them a desire/need to pay for the Paid version.

And as @uptimistik said, you do need a large amount of downloads before ads make money. So if you expect your free app to get say 1000 downloads, you will make little to no money.

Unless your truly planning on making this a professional game, I would not advise getting Pro to monetize on free apps.

Hope this makes sense,
    Chakku
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    During the year the top 200 grossing apps are free, this is because they use free to play but buy later method.

I for one, prefer the idea of having one app, make it free with options to buy more if want. This way all traffic is done through one game.

You can include iAds and Iaps to it but the more important thing is that it doesn't limit anyone to download it.

However to earn money, large amount of downloads ate required and if you feel this may not be the case, having paid might give you more, not much but some.

I personally no longer buy paid games, unless they are ones I have been waiting for or it's a GS game to show my support, as there are hundreds of games that are free that I like to play.

So it's your choice depending on how well you think your app goes, without letting your imagination go wild :)

Cheers
    Elfizm
    @Elfizm @Benjamight

Yes, it's true that the Top Grossing are free apps, but they are run by big-name companies with a ton of people.

If your app is at that level of quality, then definitely go for the more profitable free-to-play method. But most Indies make simpler games, as they are usually only one person/small group vs huge company.

But as Elfizm said, you will need a lot of downloads for iAds to bring in any money.

Also Lite/Paid method is pretty straightforward, while Free-to-play is more profitable, but a lot more risky.

In the end, it all comes down to the quality/type of your game, and your personal preference.

Hope this helps.
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211
    Hi,
    I think that monetizing games is a great resource to us that we must use as much as possible.
    I get good results with iAd, inApp and especially with PlayHaven.
    instead I get a very poor results with paid games in App Store.
    I don't think that just a great game is enough to get great paid result download today.
    If we look at the top ten games there are always big companies that invest many money in advertising to make a great paid result.

What i can say here:
    "for me" advertising my Apps is fundamental process to make a good earn results, and I hope that GS introduce other methods of monetization to help and support small developers like me.
    Bye.
  • BenjamightBenjamight Member Posts: 14
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone, that is very helpful. If you don't mind me asking a follow up question... what exactly is the "Lite/Paid" versions? I thought that GameSalad only had the software for free, and if you wanted to publish, then you had to pay $300 for the Pro version. Also, just to make sure I'm not confused... the only difference between the Pro & Non-Pro version, is the publishing ability...right? Final question... is the Windows version publishable and monetizable, even though it's still in Beta?

This communitiy is amazing, and you're all extremly helpful... thanks again for your time and input! :D

Benjamight
    @Benjamight

NO, major misconception. You can still publish to iPhone/iPad for free with GameSalad. PRO is for monetization and Android.
    Ohhhhh!! Thanks for clearing that up, wow, I was totally off! :)

Ok, so if I just want to publish free apps to Apple products, without any try at making money, I don't need to the Pro, but if I want Android to have availability too and try to make some money, that's what the Pro gets me?

Thanks Chakku,
    Benjamight
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    You can see a list of everything Pro gets you here: http://gamesalad.com/creator/pricing
    edited December 2012
    @Benjamight

NO, another major misconception! Ok, I will tell you exactly what you can and cannot do:

Free Version of GameSalad-

-iPhone publishing (you can publish both free AND money apps)

-iPad publishing (you can publish both free AND money apps)

-Mac Publishing (you can publish both free AND money apps to 's Mac App Store, as well as anywhere else you want to sell it)

-HTML5 publishing (you can publish to any website, and your game is perfectly playable on Mac, Windows, and anything else) (the Mac export is an actual application on the computer, while HTML5 is online)

Pro Version of GameSalad-

-Android (you can publish both free AND money apps to any of the Android marketplaces, including Amazon Android Appstore, and Google Play [that means it's playable on all Android devices, including the Kindle Fire/ Kindle Fire HD

-WINDOWS SUPPORT!- This is a new feature, and is really good! http://gamesalad.com/creator/windows-8

-External Links (you get a behavior that allows you to send a player to any website on the web, which you give the link for)

-iAds and In-App Purchases (this is the biggest reason why I want/hopefully will get Pro soon) (these are the monetization options currrently available; they used to have Kiip but removed it, and they also say more options are coming soon, including for Android, but no AdMob ads will ever come)

GameCenter support- Support for 's GameCenter network

Twitter support- ability for users to tweet in the game

***Upcoming Native Engine Release***

Only for Pro members, and improves the current bad loading times 8x-10x better

MANY features that they will add soon:

Mac Creator

iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Support
    Aspect ratio independence
    iPad Mini Support
    Kindle Fire HD Support
    Nook Support
    Project Mint*
    Universal Binaries
    New Mac UI
    Playhaven for Android
    Auto Saving**
    Multi-Select**
    Scene Editor Zooming**
    Hot Keys**
    Full Screen Mode**
    iOS 6 Social Framework**
    Monetization options**
    iOS 6 GameCenter Support**
    Native Code Engine
    Android In-App-Purchase
    Layers – Locking/Unlocking, Hiding/Showing**
    Navigation via Hand Tool**
    Snap-to-Grid**
    Attribute Editing/Organizing (Folders) **
    Project Hops*
    Copy/Paste between Projects**
    Tile Painting Tool***
    Custom Fonts***
    Searchable Tables***
    Joints***
    Polygon Collisions***
    Asynchronous Multiplayer**

* These projects merit their own post and detailed explanation. I’ll follow up separately to address each one in a new post.
    ** New Mac UI dependency
    *** Native Code Engine dependency

Windows Creator
    Multi-Select
    Alignment Tools
    Zoom
    Hotkeys
    Monetization Options
    iOS Publishing Solution
    Android In-App-Purchase
    Layers
    Custom Fonts
    Searchable Tables

* Note that some of the features listed in the Mac Creator roadmap also apply to Windows Creator.

Web Support

Updated Portfolio Page
    Improved Web Publishing Flow
    Updated HTML5 Arcade

Windows Store Features
    Share Charm
    Advanced Live Tile Tools
    Custom Snap-to-Scene
    In-App Purchase
    MS Surface Support

Although all of these are not Pro-only, many-most of them will be. Most things with 2*'s are for everybody, while everything with 3*'s are Pro-only. Projects are yet to be revealed surprises!

I know this is long, but I hope you have read it, and that it answers the any questions you have.

Hope this helps.
    Wow Chakku, I can't ask for it to be any easier than that right there! Thanks so much, that gives me all my answers. :D

Benjamight
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited April 2015

@jamie_c said:
    givenyouvalue, this post is 3 years old....

It's spam @jamie_c. It is a shameful plug for an app builder. The link goes to a drag and drop app builder web site. Sneaky spam.

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@neoman said:
    It's spam @jamie_c. It is a shameful plug for an app builder. The link goes to a drag and drop app builder web site. Sneaky spam.

@tatiang I flagged the post by @givenyouvalue as spam. I believe it warrants a removal, if not an abuse report at clickbank.

https://accounts.clickbank.com/network_abuse.html

ClickBank Network Abuse Policy

ClickBank is an Internet retailer that sells digital products, such as ebooks and software, to millions of customers per year.

Like Amazon.com and other large Internet merchants, ClickBank has a network of tens of thousands of affiliates who promote our products. If you have arrived at this page it is likely that you experienced a problem with one of these affiliates. Please follow the instructions below to resolve your complaint.

All ClickBank clients are prohibited from using our services in conjunction with any form of network abuse, spamming, spyware, denial of service, or other illegal activity. Sending any email to purchased lists or lists obtained by any other method (such as harvesting) is not acceptable. Clients may only send email to recipients who have joined mailing lists directly from their own website.

Please report any abuse of ClickBank resources promptly so that we can take corrective action against any offending accounts.

If you have arrived at this page several times via unwanted popup windows, your machine may be infected with a virus. Such viruses can often be removed using anti-spyware utilities. Click HERE for Microsoft's free spyware removal tool.
    To report unwelcome email, newsgroup crossposting, or abuse on online classified sites or social networking sites, please notify our Security Department through our Report Abuse form. If you are able to cut and paste the full body and header of the offending message in the form, please send that information along with your report.
    To report sites using mousetraps, such as windows that spawn new windows or otherwise resist being closed, please forward the offending URL using our Report Abuse form.
    To report copyright or trademark abuse, please consult our DMCA and Trademark Policy

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@neoman said:

I was the 5th flag, i forgot to get the link before doing so. Can you send me a pm with the link he posted please. I want to send him a few gifts.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited April 2015

@Lovejoy so your are the one who sent the post to a forum black hole to never be seen again ... Anyway I PMed you the link to where the original link redirected to. Enjoy!

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Making money in/from apps needs a clever thought process today. Simple games seem to be popular right now (think flappy bird tap games) but also, something like Crossy Road showed that you can monetise your app by offering reward videos.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon