GS express

haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
Hi there!
i'm new to GS and it's looks really great tool!
i'm about to create a game for iphone and wonder about the GS Express license.
it's said $99/year. what happen after a year? i can't publish any more?
or just don't get the free updates for the tool?

also, when i publish a game, am i getting a binary file that i can test on my iphone
before submitting to the app store?

thanks!

by the way, do you have a section where i can offer my self as graphic designer for others?
i'm really good at this...

Comments

• iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    So your a graphic designer you say? Please email me on what you can do, ideveloperz@me.com

You get a tester with the express.
    After that year I think another $99 comes out of your account automatically.

Oh and unfortunately GS encounters a problem changing scenes on you device. There is nothing wrong, but it takes 3-4 seconds which is rather annoying.
  • haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
    thanks! sent you mail...

is this a known bug that will be fix in the next update?

and what is the tester? emulator?
    and another thing....

does all the games that i publish also uploaded to this website automatically?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    You get a GS Viewer - you install it on your iPhone (you'll need the SDK and licence from Apple - $99)

Essentially it allows you to test your game on the device - invaluable really :D

After a year you can (I assume) still use GS but you won't be able to upload your games to be published onto iphone/ipad etc.

Welcome to the forum!

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    Depending on how optimized your game is depends on amount of time in changing scenes my games only take 1 second to change scenes. A tester is also called a viewer in which you build on your iPhone to test your games. If you make a game for the web and publish it to the web then yes it will go on this site. Can you also send me an email here Wesley_Campbell@verizon.net

Also welcome to Gamesalad:)

Cheers, Weswog
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    I can't really expand on what anyone else has told you, but you were right, you are really good at graphic design, just took a look at your website
  • iPhoneDevForMeiPhoneDevForMe Member Posts: 362
    The game creater is free. Download it for free and build games to your hearts desire! You however CANNOT publish games to be put on the iPhone/iPad.

Pay $99 for the Express license, and you now have the ability to publish the games for the iPhone/iPad. When you publish, you need some of the resources only available to registered iPhone developers (provisioning profiles to be exact). It will
    ask for these when you upload a game. So you must also pay
    $99 and join the iPhone Dev program. Now your ready to go!

When you upload, it asks for a location to save the app and it uploads your game and then saves it to your computer. This binary can be installed onto your device for testing; however, you can use the GS viewer to play the app on your phone without installing. When you buy the license they give you the xcode project which you can then install on your iphone/ipad and the viewer will detect when the app is running and can load it onto the device. When you upload just an iPhone app it does not publish it online, but I do believe it shows up as one of your applications but it cannot be played unless you upload it as a web game.

When the year is up, the "Publish" button will disappear if you do not pay another $99 for the year. That's about it!

I am also very interested in your graphic design! If you could send me some samples and your rates that would be great! Kbegemandev@gmail.com
    @Weswog @iPhoneDevForMe, thanks for reply!

i sent you both mails.
    @roryyror thanks man!
    i really think that the game graphics is really important part of the game.
    good games may fails because of bad graphics.
    the app icon and the screen shots are selling the game. the rest may set his rating.
    but i already saw low rating games sold thousand of copies.
    "i really think that the game graphics is really important part of the game.
    good games may fails because of bad graphics.
    the app icon and the screen shots are selling the game. the rest may set his rating.
    but i already saw low rating games sold thousand of copies."

It's all very confusing, isn't it? ;)

I think you're right in that the app icon and screenshots help to sell a game. However, at the same time, I lament that things are like this.

Mainly because I've played enough rubbish or just plain dull games that have looked absolutely awesome in screenshots but have been a huge disappointment. And then I've played the most simple and basic looking games that have entertained me hugely.

I think that people forget that games are generally made up of teams that require three disciplines - Art, Code and Design.

While GS removes the need (mostly) for a coder, it still means that as a designer, my games are somewhat lacking in the art department.

It also means that for a lot of artists, their games lack a little in the design department ;)

But, as you say, people judge the game by the cover and some real gems are overlooked. A real shame!

i'm talking about the first impression that make you to pay $0.99 for a game.
    that will be the graphics and almost only the graphics.
    after you paid that dollar, no one really care if you liked it or not because rating
    doesn't say much.
    well *I* care if I lilked it or not! ;)

QS :D

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    can you send me an email on keith at kc8 dot co dot uk with some examples and pricing? Thanks
    @beefy_clyro did you got my email?

i guess every one want to see samples... i will try to find some graphics that i can show...
    so hang on!