title screen buttons

enigmacubedenigmacubed Member Posts: 35
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Ok, so im like a total newb when it comes to making games. I've never made a game in my life. But I'm pretty good with graphics and can make a good image if I feel like it or actually put the effort into it. My point is, this is probably like something stupid that can be solved easily.

QUESTION: When I made a menu screen, I put a background image in the background layer and put some buttons in another layer, and then I added actions to the buttons so that the would take me to different scenes. Except there was a problem. When you go into the preview of the menu, I clicked on the play button and it brings me to the game, but if I click anywhere on the screen and not just the play button (even on the other buttons), it still takes me to the game (scene). HELP???

I tried everything I can possibly think of like putting the buttons in separate layers or changing different attributes but nothing seemed to change.

Is this a bug? Or am I just a Newb...

Comments

• FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    I had the same issue and wasn't sure if that's how it's intended to work or if it's a bug. To make it work, I also added an additional rule to the button to check that the mouse position is over the actor.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I think you're just a 'newb'...

But it's ok, we all were once - and in many ways I still am ;)

In your rule, have you checked that the 'all' conditions box is active?

If you click 'new rule' in an actor (top right of screen) then a rule appears, and on the left at the top of this rule is a toggle between 'any' and 'all'.

Make sure it's on 'all' on all your buttons.

You essentially want to make it so that if the mouse is over the actor AND you click the mouse, then you go to new scene.

If you have 'any' selected, it will go to a new scene wherever you click on the screen - it won't be actor specific.

That sounds a little convoluted in the way I described it, but hope that helps!

Cheers

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• enigmacubedenigmacubed Member Posts: 35
    Thanks quantum and fetaboy, that worked great. Someday i'll hopefully be as good as you guys.