A few tips for would be coders for hire

Okay so after I decided to offer my coding services on a limited basis this is what I've experenced so far. I will say, I have already had several happy clients and enjoyed working with them but they seem to be in the minority.

Most client requests are from people who don't understand how much time it takes to build a game.

Most clients think because they can buy a template for $25 you will do the same game for that price. They don't get the concept of mass selling versus custom.

Learn to say NO. If a client doesn't want to give you a deposit that is a big red flag. Don't ever give them the project file until payment is complete. (I do a video demonstation of the working project).

If it's a big job get a payment schedule based on progress. If they don't agree say NO!

If their email starts out with Buddy or Friend say NO!

If they tell you how much money they don't have say NO!

Just a few thoughts for those would be contract coders.

Comments

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Hey buddy >:) , All legit, couldn't agree more, nothing to add.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2013
    All this transfers very well into any business' prospective client situation. I get this day in day our from clients not wanting to pay professional fees for professional services.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Yes, which is why NO comes off my lips faster than YES. I can sit on the couch and eat potato chips and not make any money, why people think I'd rather code their game for nothing when I could be eating chips is beyond me.
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    Yep, I've been a professional graphic designer for years (too many! LOL) and get the same thing. You have to always be prepared to turn down someone who doesn't take the job seriously. It may be 'just a fun little project' for them, but when it's you're livelihood it needs to be business first and fun second.

Some other common terms to watch out for: Do me a favor, help me out this time, this could lead to more business, just this once, it's a quick project, it's a cheap project... and on and on... :)
  • CaramelTigerClanCaramelTigerClan Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2013
    Agreed, and:

One more point to add, its gets rather annoying when people come up with requests that are very outside the scope that Gamesalad is capable of. (I've lost count on how many have requested full support multi-player, like Dude, did you research this engine before deciding to just use it?)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited January 2013
    I used to do a lot of client work a couple of years ago, people still on these forums today can vouch for that but i simply don't have enough time to do it regularly now because of DBA and my own games, i do think you need to set your stall out properly from the beginning, a game design doc 3 lines long or a link to a video saying i want something like that isn't good enough:)

Wayne still does loads of custom work outside of GS (Corona etc etc) and he very rarely gets messed around because he makes it clear from the off its not going to be cheap and sends them a fully detailed workout of what he will do for X amount so there's no confusion with extras or anything later on.

Darren.
  • sparkaniasparkania Member, PRO Posts: 300
    on the money issue, I have had a good experience using Elance.. That takes some of the worry off about getting paid..
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    These chips are making me thirsty.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited January 2013
    @FryingBaconStudios
    Say, can you make me a game? I wanna game where there is this guy that eats chips and if he does eat fast enough he has to make videogames. Oh noooes!

I don't have a lot of cash, so I'll pay you 5 bucks and let you join my clan on battlefield.
    Good deal right? Don't mention it! Also, can you put acheivements and links in my game? I don't have pro, but you can take care of that too I'm sure. If you do, I'll show you how to rank up faster in battlefield. THX!