Game orientation on iPhone screen

sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
I noticed that Flutterby (pretty cool, by the way) is oriented differently than most (all?) of the other games on the iPhone. The "bottom" of the game screen is on the right side of the iPhone, whereas most others normally use the left side as the "bottom".

Is this done for a reason, by design? Will other GameSalad apps use the same orientation? It was a little weird when I first started Flutterby, since it started "upside down" in the way I normally hold the iPhone for games.

Just curious.

Steve

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I know what you mean, Steve. When my dear dad plays my game, he's confused as to why the sound keeps changing, as the way he holds the phone to play covers up the speaker :)

Does it really matter in the end though? Are there guidelines set by Apple that the landscape view should go the way you describe?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Dunno, I play a lot of games with this orientation on the iPhone. So, it's not against the rules by any means. All depends on how the developer made it. If you don't like the orientation just make it upside down =)

But like SuperNES said, you may get a crick in your neck.
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    Reviving an old topic, mostly due to something I'm experiencing now. :)

I'm using ScreenSplitr + DemoGod to showcase what I have built on my iPhone to people. However DemoGod only orientates the landscape mode by an anti-clockwise direction (when held, the standby button is to the left, the home button is to the right).

It seems that DemoGod did this because a significant majority of apps in the app store that go landscape are orientated this way. Unfortunately for us, GS Viewer is not, so it appears up-side-down.

Any chance that we might get a patch which fixes this? Maybe changing GS Viewer's landscape orientation, or at least allowing for an option to flip in the opposite direction?