Advice on getting help.

Here is a it of advice from someone who likes to help and regularly helps on the forums.

1. More information is better than none. (Be descriptive about your problem)

2. Say what OS you're working GS on Mac or Windows

3. If it's a publishing issue say what you're publishing to ie iPad, android, Mac

4. Post screenshots of your code

5. Don't panic the world isn't ending. Remember the forums is not customer support and all of us are volenteers.

Remember people here want to help you but we don't read minds and we aren't right there with you. When you write your post remember that you are writing to people who don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2013
    @FryingBaconStudios

My game is doing something wrong, I've tried doing a few different things and I've also done some other things to the thing I am having problems with, but it's still doing something wrong.

Also when I click on something it kinda' does a thing (like a noise or movement or whatever or something), this is how I want it to work but if I do something else it kinda' does a thing that's like something else but not exactly the same as the thing I want it to do.

Any idea why it's not doing what I want it to do ?
    36 seconds later.

Bump.
    14 seconds after the bump.

Anyone ? No one want to help me ?
  • TinpotTinpot Member Posts: 54
    Best thread jack i've seen in a while @socks

On a more serious note, great tip(s) @fryingbaconstudios
    That would be a great sticky for anyone requesting help.
    edited January 2013

That would be a great sticky for anyone requesting help.
    Agreed, it sure would, FBS is addressing a very real issue, the amount of posts that pop up asking for help while giving as little information as possible is amazing !

People are sat at their computers with their code in front of them and thinking to themselves "I can't work out why this code is producing the results that it is producing" . . . . "Maybe if I keep the code secret and show people just the results they can reverse engineer the code for me and suggest a solution".

:))
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2013

@FryingBaconStudios Good post, Dave; hopefully it'll avoid a few more frustrations in the future...

Worth pointing new users to this link too:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/42740/welcome-to-the-gamesalad-forum-rules-and-guidelines-of-the-community#latest

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    @FryingBaconStudios you forget most important thing and its use search before asking for help. I tired that and many time it works and I got my solutions from older thread.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Why the actor go to the left?
  • Alembic_SoftworksAlembic_Softworks Member Posts: 114
    *laughing and rubbing eyes at this thread* [-(
    I let out an actual real life laugh out loud on reading that one !

:)) :(( :))
  • Alembic_SoftworksAlembic_Softworks Member Posts: 114
    I let out an actual real life laugh out loud on reading that one !

:)) :(( :))

I'm still laughing at that one!
  • JN38JN38 Member Posts: 57
    Guilty as charged for not providing enough information. I do hope I'm getting better at providing more though.
    But, I do try to do a search first.
    I just don't like having to go through 47 pages because 18000 posts have "image" in them.
    edited January 2013
    Guilty as charged for not providing enough information. I do hope I'm getting better at providing more though.
    But, I do try to do a search first.
    I just don't like having to go through 47 pages because 18000 posts have "image" in them.
    The forum search is pretty useless at times, you get better results from Google just stick Gamesalad.com at the start of your search term/s . . . . like this:

http://bit.ly/UFzBEH
  • JN38JN38 Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the tip.
    I'll put that in my notebook.
  • TesseractEngineTesseractEngine Member Posts: 180
    Remember the forums is not customer support and all of us are volenteers.
    I wonder if we can get that as a pop-up before people post. And send IMs.
    :-?