Editing save game data with iExplorer

Has anyone else ever thought of how easy it would be to change data in the save game files for any (I think any) GameSalad game? It is just a database file (liteSQL format) that can be opened and modified at will. All a user would have to do is open iExplorer, navigate to the file, save it, edit it and then place it back again. Could this in some way ruin the game? Also just for clarification I haven't done this for fear of violating the GameSalad TOS. What do you think of this? :/

Comments

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited February 2013
    Also just for clarification I haven't done this for fear of violating the GameSalad TOS. What do you think of this? :/
    @Utveckla_Games
    Hmmmm...well if you're doing it with your own game just to see if it's possible for other people to do it, I would think that's ok :/ Maybe if it does work, this could be something that GameSalad can patch? :/

Chakku
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    @Chakku I looked at the file and it was very easy to identify. The extension is .persistent but that doesn't mean a program can't open it. If someone can tell me if it is or isn't against the TOS then I will see if I can edit the file. (If it isn't against the TOS of course! :D)
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited February 2013

Hi @Utveckla I'm almost certain that what you are suggesting would violate the GameSalad Terms of Agreement...but stand to be corrected.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Read the TOS, you should have read it anyway, right?
    @rp I haven't read it recently but I probably should again to refresh my memory about the rules and regulations. Also remember that I haven't done it so I haven't violated the terms. :) Another thing, are the end users playing the games bound by the GameSalad TOS? I wouldn't think so. :/ If they aren't then they have the ability to edit the file all they want... I just don't want them to mess with my game attributes.
    I just don't want them to mess with my game attributes.
    @Utveckla_Games
    Don't worry about it...the vast majority of users wouldn't know how to do that.

To answer your question, no, the users aren't bound by the TOS, since they didn't agree to it.

Chakku
    edited February 2013
    @chakku Ok then, I also skimmed through the TOS and couldn't find the are on modifying the program(s) or data. If anyone could point me to the right acticle in the TOS I would be very grateful. :)
    Edit: I did see the area about not decompiling or reverse engineering the code but I wouldn't be messing with the code just a database for the code. Like I said though I was just asking.
    @Utveckla_Games

If you're really scared of some guy changing your files, then just make a bunch of phony attributes that are constrained to your important attributes, and change the names of all attributes to random numbers or something (and make your own decoder).

Just a thought :p
    Chakku
    @chakku hahahaha good idea!
    Ok, so after reading @SnapFireStudio 's post on changing the spinner (and it is "ok" to do so) I would like to know from the big man himself (@SaladStraightShooter ) would it go against the TOS to modify the save game data? Not of the GameSalad program but of your own published app. (The persistent.save file)